+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Tuners and the Aerial you use ?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the BBC gets broken up as I believe I read somewhere that this may become a possibility, the threatened switch-off may not happen at all. How many NEW cars are being supplied with DAB radios in them? Also, what of the threatened far superior DAB+ system that should answer many of the current criticisms and is totallt incompatible with current DAB stuff?????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Am i missing something here, is it gospel that FM boadcast is history within 5 years?

I don't think i could be bothered with all this for such short term & why the hell people are paying a kings ranson for say vintage tuners is beyond me!

Sorry for coming across as a bummer
    Yes Andre,
    I think you have missed something mate!
    Let's assume the switch-off does go ahead as we're told. Let's assume that it will be in 5 years. Let's assume you don't own a decent tuner now.

You can find yourself a really very good vintage unit for £200. That's £40 per year for the 5 year period. The software is free.

Compare that with a subscription to Spotify for instance - £120 per year.

Now go & look at the prices that some really excellent, but slightly lower quality tuners are fetching. - £30 or £40 - less in some cases for really solid performers. An investment of under £10 per year is 4 pints.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - Now is the very best time to be investing in a tuner.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Yes Andre,
    I think you have missed something mate!
    Let's assume the switch-off does go ahead as we're told. Let's assume that it will be in 5 years. Let's assume you don't own a decent tuner now.

You can find yourself a really very good vintage unit for £200. That's £40 per year for the 5 year period. The software is free.

Compare that with a subscription to Spotify for instance - £120 per year.

Now go & look at the prices that some really excellent, but slightly lower quality tuners are fetching. - £30 or £40 - less in some cases for really solid performers. An investment of under £10 per year is 4 pints.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - Now is the very best time to be investing in a tuner.
    And all the free recordings one can make as well, to RtR tape, cassette, mini disc, CDR, PC/Mac etc.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

Am i missing something here, is it gospel that FM boadcast is history within 5 years?
    Does this mean that the FM band will be forbidden to radio stations in UK in 5 years ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Does this mean that the FM band will be forbidden to radio stations in UK in 5 years ?
    Our national broadcaster, the BBC and the government were working to that aim, but it is stalling.... Hopefully FM will go on for much longer...I hope.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

Well, you'll go back to the age of illegal FM broadcasting, then ? How exciting !!!
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Mike.

I shall will FM to continue to eternity. Even listening to the old radios in the fifties and early sixties, before stereo, was a marked improvement on ANY AM broadcast.

Stereo FM was the icing on the cake. Can't remember when in the sixties it came in, but tuners were quite sophisticated, with onboard decoders (encoders?) in the latter sixties years.

'Sounds of the Seventies' in '71 or so was a revelation to tape from, let alone listen to.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Our national broadcaster, the BBC and the government were working to that aim, but it is stalling.... Hopefully FM will go on for much longer...I hope.

Regards D S D L
    Well BBC ought to work on TV licencing while there at it.

I'm Neil.

Well after a few days fruitless searching for 300 Ohm cable and WF-100 75 Ohm cable among real shops, I had to buy on-line. I could not believe no-body had this stuff to sell and Maplins cables were crap and way to dear....they wanted £1.70 for cheap nasty looking 300 Ohm cable and £3 a M for air gap Sat cable (didn't look like they had enough for what I wanted anyway).

You try to support real shops and get nothing for your trouble

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Listening to Rock as well as classical in the mid seventies could be amazing and even the rumbly old gates decks, Gray arms and G800's (replaced by SC35C's) sounded really good. I believe the Beeb had EMT's for transcription purposes and used V15 III's (in SME arms?) for proper record playing where cueing wasn't involved IIRC. Mind you, the Beeb used all sorts at one time or another.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast