+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tonearm cable, XLR or RCA?

I'm Nikolaos.

Default New Tonearm cable, XLR or RCA?

Hello
    I have recently decided to take on a 'Garrard 401' journey, and while few things are already in place (except the 401 unit itself), I have bought a Jelco 750D tonearm, as I think that for the price is quite a VFM.
    as I do plan in the future to acquire my dream tonearm, that being an SME v or IV, I decided to spend some money on the tonearm cable, so o be able to use it further on a higher 'calibre' tonearm.
    more (or less) I have decided to buy a cable from Yiannis Tome, as I have already an RCA interconnect from him with which I am very happy (for the price!)
    Now my question is: as my phono pre (Chord Symphonic MC) has both RCA & XLR inputs, should I opt to get an XLR terminated cable?
    bear in mind that (at least for the moment) I do not plan to change the interconnect (which will still be RCA to RCA).
    any thoughts/suggestions?

many thanks!

I'm Andrew.

I've just checked the specs for that phonostage - max gain 85dB!!!???
    That's a huge amount of gain and only suited to extremely low output cartridges of about 0.03mV. I'm not sure what the signal-to-noise ratio would be like but I'd be interested to hear it. Anyway, it also does more realistic levels of gain too.

Balanced connections from turntable to phonostage have always seemed like a good idea to me and since your phonostage has balanced inputs I see no reason not to take advantage of them.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I've just checked the specs for that phonostage - max gain 85dB!!!???
    That's a huge amount of gain and only suited to extremely low output cartridges of about 0.03mV. I'm not sure what the signal-to-noise ratio would be like but I'd be interested to hear it. Anyway, it also does more realistic levels of gain too.

Balanced connections from turntable to phonostage have always seemed like a good idea to me and since your phonostage has balanced inputs I see no reason not to take advantage of them.
    +1

I'm Neil.

+ 2
    Regards Neil

System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

I'm Nikolaos.

may thanks for your replies Gents!
    main reason for questioning was the fact that the interconnect between the phono and amp will still be unbalanced.
    BTW, the specs on the Chord site for the phono is all over the place! I had to have a call with the designer of the phono himself (I know, a very rare things these days with large multinational companies buying all the traditional smaller manufacturers) in order to clarify the settings.
    the phono is a revelation really! it really 'sings' with my Dynavector DV20XL, and I am sure it will do justice to more expensive carts as well.
    more than welcome to come over and listen to it when you are in Bristol!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Perister View Post
    main reason for questioning was the fact that the interconnect between the phono and amp will still be unbalanced.
    It doesn't matter - any benefits you get from using a balanced cable between the turntable and phonostage won't be undone by using unbalanced between phonostage and amp or pre-amp.

I'm Nikolaos.

thanks again!

I'm Stephen.

Yannis Tome interconnects,- use them myself. The signal coming from the cartridge is always going to be unbalanced. Then there is the different input sensitivity of rca compared to xlr inputs. Speaking to the phono manufacturer was a great idea. Pleased to hear you got the system 'unpacked'.

Using different speakers these days.

Regards

Cyclopse

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    The signal coming from the cartridge is always going to be unbalanced.
    No, the signal coming from the cartridge is fully floating and therefore inherently balanced, unless you unbalance it. The coils in the cartridge are no different from the coils in a moving coil microphone, and they're almost always used balanced.

I'm Ken.

This is my DIY Balanced lead, from TT to Phono stage, which I knocked up this evening.

This cable is twisted pair with Copper conductors and a Copper screen, it's 4.6mm dia and less than 2.00/M.
    Those 5pin DIN plugs are bleedin expensive though, that one connector was 60% of the total build cost.
    I've used separate cables for Left/Right channels to minimize the chance of cross talk. I think this is preferable to using 4 conductor star quad etc under a single screen.
    Van Damme do a similar cable that's 4.8mm dia, but the conductors are silver plated Copper.

Remember, when connecting your cartridge as a balanced output, to remove any ground connections from the negative pins/cables from the cartridge.
    Rega for one, fit a strap from the right channel neg pin to the cartridge body on some models, this and any other ground connections to the cartridge pins must be broken.
    Last edited by Qwin; 08-07-2017 at 00:00.
    Ken

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/
    DIY Technics/ProJect based Turntable + Terminator linear tracker + Ortofon MC20 Supreme / Pro-Ject Phono box & Pre Box RS / KMTech Active X-Over / Nakamichi AVP1 Power / DIY Sealed Three Way Speakers / Stello CDT100 Transport / DAC Magic.

+ Reply to Thread