+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fed up? Sell everything and start from scratch with ten grand!

I'm Robert.

I'd do it just like i've done it

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jusbe View Post
    I take your point, Sherwood/Geoff.

For me, personally, yes, I would buy vinyl again (today). But I might save up 20% of that 10K for a trip to Japan to buy some of the Jazz I collect. The music and performances I look for are 'of their time'. That mostly means C20 for me and others I suppose. All the vinyl paraphernalia is, to me, part of the game!

I wonder whether I would be as concerned if I was 20 again, though...
    Another key factor for me is "portability". I have spent a large proportion of my working life living and working in developing countries. My vinyl collection, vinyl equipment and my valve amps have been in storage for most of the last 20 years for this reason. Vinyl doesn't thrive in the humidity of Bangladesh or the dry dusty climes of Botswana or Namibia. Over that time I have built up a huge cd collection (too embarrassed to admit to a number). The cost of shipping and insuring my cd collection each time I move from country to country was crazy. I have now ripped my entire cd collection as FLAC files to two 4tb hard drives (the second a mirror image backup). Even now, back in the UK the storage space required for my vinyl and cds is huge.

Geoff

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Another key factor for me is "portability". I have spent a large proportion of my working life living and working in developing countries. My vinyl collection, vinyl equipment and my valve amps have been in storage for most of the last 20 years for this reason. Vinyl doesn't thrive in the humidity of Bangladesh or the dry dusty climes of Botswana or Namibia. Over that time I have built up a huge cd collection (too embarrassed to admit to a number). The cost of shipping and insuring my cd collection each time I move from country to country was crazy. I have now ripped my entire cd collection as FLAC files to two 4tb hard drives (the second a mirror image backup). Even now, back in the UK the storage space required for my vinyl and cds is huge.

Geoff
    Interesting. We recently dragged our (my) record collection to NZ and back - having previously dragged it to Trinidad & Tobago and back. NZ was a minefield of mold avoidance, as far as the records were concerned. Worked a lot in Africa but never had need to take the collection.

Do you use a streaming service now? I was wondering about trying something like Qobuz, now it offers real HD streaming. I just bought Monk's RSD 2017 release on Sam Records. But, I was surprised to see it will be offered as an HD item at Qobuz soon too:

Les Liaisons Dangereuses

I'm Edward.

I'm not sure I would want to sell much of what I already have as very happy with most elements. What I would do with ten grand is spend say six grand on converting a double garage (currently used for storing junk) to an optimised listening room and the other 4 grand on similar audio items but with speakers that have greater bass. It is amazing the high end kit one can get for small change (if the big names are avoided).

Now if I had to spend a hundred grand then that is another story. I would start with 'cheaper' MBL speakers and work from there.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Matthew.

I'm just in the process of doing exactly this!

My life is too busy right now for valves and vinyl, so I think I'm going to go back to a simple streaming system. When the kids were younger, they went to bed early and slept like logs and I could listen as I wanted, now they go later and wake more easily!

As such, I end up with little 30 mins here and there when I can listen, but I can't be arsed with putting the electrostatic heads on my speakers (can't leave them on for fear of them getting knocked), waiting for valves to warm, clean a record etc. I need something instant, with music at the touch of a button on a tablet.

I reckon I'll have a good look at Linn, Chord, Vitus and, maybe, Naim (didn't like what I briefly heard the other day though). I heard some incredible sounds from Luxman and Dali the other day too, but I'd need several x £10k for that system!

Anyone fancy some Cadence Amaya, Leben and a lovely 401?

I'm Geoff.

Interesting. We recently dragged our (my) record collection to NZ and back - having previously dragged it to Trinidad & Tobago and back. NZ was a minefield of mold avoidance, as far as the records were concerned. Worked a lot in Africa but never had need to take the collection.

Do you use a streaming service now? I was wondering about trying something like Qobuz, now it offers real HD streaming. I just bought Monk's RSD 2017 release on Sam Records. But, I was surprised to see it will be offered as an HD item at Qobuz soon too:

Les Liaisons Dangereuses
    Justin,

I still prefer to own a physical product so continue to buy cds which I immediately rip to FLAC and then put into storage boxes. Mold is an ever present threat. When I put my LPs into long term storage 20 years ago it was in heavy duty plastic crates packed with large silica gel bags. That kept my vinyl in pristine condition.

I was an early adopter of Spotify which has helped me to regulate and control my cd purchasing. In the past I would buy a cd on the basis of a review or one or two tracks heard on the radio, often being greatly disappointed with my purchase. Now I listen to an album on Spotify first to see whether there are enough good tracks to justify the cd purchase. I did try Qobuz streaming for a while and even bought some HD albums (including a good Eric Bibb live concert) but was put off by the interface. The sound quality was noticeably better than Spotify Premium but not hugely so. I have been pleasantly surprised by how good Spotify can sound at the 320 bit rate (even through my Magneplanar speakers which are very revealing). Spotify bass performance is very good in general, with the main problem being a bit of metallic grain in the treble. I was listening to Judith Owen recently on Spotify after seeing her in concert in Sheffield. The track "My Father's Voice" really got the Maggies shifting air! Hard disk storage is really cheap now: my 4tb Western Digital Passport drives cost me $125 each on a trip to the US last November. Even allowing for 500mb for a FLAC album, that's a potential storage of 8,000 albums per drive!

Geoff

I'm Steven.

I'd be surprised if vinyl didn't outlast whatever digital format you might currently try and for the foreseeable future. It's lasted this far, hasn't it? Most of us can't even access floppy discs from the 80s and 90s. How long before present digital formats/codecs become obsolete? Records from the middle of last century or earlier? No problem.

People will be dropping styli onto vinyl for some time to come, I'm fairly sure.
    I have a lot of vinyl as well but 98% of the time my music format is digital. Can listen to it at home, on the train, in the car on the beach in Bali if I want. It's called streaming. Obsolescence? Welcome to the 21st century.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by eddieedwards View Post
    I'm just in the process of doing exactly this!

My life is too busy right now for valves and vinyl, so I think I'm going to go back to a simple streaming system. When the kids were younger, they went to bed early and slept like logs and I could listen as I wanted, now they go later and wake more easily!

As such, I end up with little 30 mins here and there when I can listen, but I can't be arsed with putting the electrostatic heads on my speakers (can't leave them on for fear of them getting knocked), waiting for valves to warm, clean a record etc. I need something instant, with music at the touch of a button on a tablet.

I reckon I'll have a good look at Linn, Chord, Vitus and, maybe, Naim (didn't like what I briefly heard the other day though). I heard some incredible sounds from Luxman and Dali the other day too, but I'd need several x £10k for that system!

Anyone fancy some Cadence Amaya, Leben and a lovely 401?
    Auralic Polaris, Qobuz Sublime + and any speakers you like. Otherwise AVM or Devialet. Do I get banned from this forum for recommending 3 Class D units? I've had Art Audio valves and Quad monoblocks in the last 5 years and the Devialet Pro puts all in the shade. Have used Auralic for some years as streaming is all about good software.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Matthew.

Yeah, got the Qobuz trial and the Auralics do look very tempting. My only issue is that I'd be looking exdem/ second hand and the meraks rarely come up. Certainly one to audition though (prefer to go same manufacturer).

By coincidence, my last amp was art audio jota - I loved it, but always worried for the expensive KR valves! All of this stuff is fantastic, just different flavours and sometimes we just fancy a change, don't we!?
    Last edited by eddieedwards; 02-06-2017 at 16:44.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is that a Stax arm? Looks rather like an UA-7, but not quite.
    not quite Geoff as its a UA-70, the 12" big brother, I also have a UA-7 standing by for another turntable if I ever have the time to build one. Thanks Oliver for the kind words.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast