+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fed up? Sell everything and start from scratch with ten grand!

I'm Geoff.

Default Fed up? Sell everything and start from scratch with ten grand!

So, you keep fretting over your current system. It's nice, but somehow you get that niggly feeling things could be so much better. If you flogged it all off and gave yourself a ten grand budget, what would you buy? Would it be new or second hand?

My choices?

I'd be buying largely used I think and concentrating on CD source, so perhaps a Mark Levinson No.37 transport. As for a DAC, I'd stick to what I already have, Monarchy Audio M22C. Pre-amp might be a used Music First Audio Baby in front of a new Radford Revival STA25 power amp driving a mint pair of Tannoy Berkeley Mk.II's. I make that about £9000. Bung in some decent cables and that's the ten grand spent! Should sound rather nice.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

I could do that. Not sure what I'd get though.

It certainly goes through my mind sometimes though.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mike.

I've done it numerous times too, last time was just the other week just before I swapped a speaker cable over from + to - and realised I was out of phase lol.

I had to do it the way I have done first, as without buying it bit by bit I would never have allowed myself to spend the money I have spent in one go.

I'm Martin.

I'd go for a fully active system, 6 channels of amplification, DSP crossovers, giant DIY 3 way speakers. Source would just be a CD player as usual.

Could get the amps for a grand, speaker build about 3 grand, DSP units are a few hundred quid. Would struggle to spend the £10K tbh unless I went for something really flash for the front end or had everything gold plated (which I might )
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Would struggle to spend the £10K tbh unless I went for something really flash for the front end or had everything gold plated (which I might )
    Three Krell power amps?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

The leccy board would be happy if I did that...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Starting from scratch I wouldn't be looking at vinyl. Even though I still have over 1000 albums and recognise the superiority of analogue over digital, it is a time limited format (notwithstanding the current resurgence in popularity). In fact, I would probably also bypass CD altogether and go for a top notch disk-based streaming solution.

I would try and be a bit more eco friendly in my selection of amplifiers. As much as I love my Art Audio Quintet power amp, I always feel a little guilty about the inefficiency of valve amps and their resemblance to space heaters! If there was a breakthrough in fission technology I might consider a Radford Revival jobbie or something from Acoustic Research. However, I believe that digital amplifier design has reached a threshold that makes it a contender for my new system. I would probably go for a really meaty digital power amp. I would drive the power amp directly from the streamer so no need for a pre-amp.

I currently have a pair of Magneplanars (the 1.7 model) and would be tempted by one of their larger models. However, it would be a close call between another ribbon or electrostatic design and a good single driver conventional design. If my listening room was on the small side I would go for an Omega Alnico design, possibly their SAM model.

I would spend modestly on cabling, but would be willing to spend some of my budget getting room acoustics right. Oh, and a nice E-Z-Boy recliner to complete the setup.

It would be very easy to spend 10k but in truth I think I would probably spend less than that (maybe 5k to 6k) and use the balance on going to live gigs and buying more recorded music.

Geoff

I'm Shane.

Top notch Stax Ear Speaker System & Linn CD12. With the left over change, I'll get some nice mofi CD's.

S.

danilo Guest

Interesting.... I wouldn't change a single thing from what I have now.
    Maybe splurge on more recordings ?

I'm paul.

Ok I'm in, someone give me ten grand and I'll let 'er indoors have the garden room and I'll buy a hot rod. Then bit by bit build a set up on the cheap. Ten grand sounds good especially as mine is not worth anything near that but would probably kick the arse of most on here
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast