+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, where do we go from here ?

I'm Peter.

Hi drSM, Decca's are happy on either type arm uni pivot or gimbal. However, The early Decca arm was uni-pivot.

Yes all Townshend TT's have front end damping. (From the very beginning).

There is no physical connection other than a round paddle sits (floats) in a trough of silicon fluid. An outrigger fits to the head shell that retains the paddle.

There are much better explanations on the interweb on how this works.

This TT design has been around for 50 years and about eight different models throughout those years have been produced.

Many say this doesn't work, but I beg to differ and so do all the owners of a Townsend TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

How much did the refurb cost on the Decca?

I'm Peter.

Hi Mikeyb,

For this refurb by John Wright (London Decca) was £282 but that was for a complete re-build. New extended stylus / magnets realigned coils rewound and a complete setup.

He will also fit a Deccapod if so required (not recommended for the Townsend/ SME) for £90

Hope that answers you question.

Peter

Cost is obviously dependant on what is wrong in the first place.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Sorry, I also meant to mention the Rock 5 (another mistake) to sell.

Again as rare....... as the reference!

PB

Thanks for all the info on the Rock, Peter!

It's about 35 years since I heard one at a Manchester hifi dealer but was always super impressed by them. Would make an interesting comparison with my long-term deck, the Source-Odyssey which was produced at the same time as the mk1 Rock
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Mike.

Hi Mikeyb,

For this refurb by John Wright (London Decca) was £282 but that was for a complete re-build. New extended stylus / magnets realigned coils rewound and a complete setup.

He will also fit a Deccapod if so required (not recommended for the Townsend/ SME) for £90

Hope that answers you question.

Peter

Cost is obviously dependant on what is wrong in the first place.

Thanks, it was just to get an idea if I come across one needing worked on.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi drSM, Decca's are happy on either type arm uni pivot or gimbal. However, The early Decca arm was uni-pivot.

No, not strictly true. The first, the Decca "Professional" and its successor the "ffss" (in both 'standard' and Mk. II 'Super' guises) used needle point bearings for the vertical plane bearing and a ball race for the horizontal plane bearing. It was the later Decca "International" and "London" arms, designed specifically for the Mk. IV and later versions of the cartridge, that used a unipivot bearing.

However as you rightly say, Deccas are happy in either type arm, especially if some damping is used.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Hi Barry, thanks for that. I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Sorry but I'm a bit of a diehard about the Rock TT. I had over the last 40 years, just about every model ever produced.

Now with the Rock 7 Mk2 with the Merlin power supply (the last of its kind), as Max has stopped production of this deck.

Never had the inclination to use without the front end damping (that's the whole point of the Townsend).

There are of course differing views on on this but for me it just works.

Never messed with the fluid and always get it direct from Townsend.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question to the wrong person as I am truly biased but for me..... this is one of the finest TT's out there.... I certainly have heard a few high end TT's but none can match the sound this TT produces.

I'll shut up now (it's a personal view) and others will have their own views.

hi peter,
    ive just bought a rock 2 and absolutely love it,using the trough takes it up another level.
    i have been reading up on external power supply's and there are so many to choose from,obviously you can only buy a merlin these days second hand if any turn up,are there any new ones you'd say are worth looking at?

you can read about my rock 2 here,
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...te-In-The-Loft!!!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

For those who may be unaware. The trough and paddle from a Rock can be used on just about any turntable if you fit it carefully. I've seen this done (can't recall what turntable it was though ). The trough & paddle do come up for sale once in a while.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Hi Jamie, I can't really make an expert recommendation for an external power supply having only ever used a Merlin. If you could find one, it will possibly cost more than you paid for the deck.
    My only suggestion would be to drop Max Townsend an email and see if he can supply motor type/ Voltage/ load, etc and then take it from there.
    Obviously, there are others on this forum that could advise (Arkless) on matters electrical.
    I know that the Merlin for the Rock 7 is still available from Townsend but is a whooping £2,225 but even so, I doubt it will be compatible with the Rock II motor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast