+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, where do we go from here ?

I'm Peter.

Thanks for that .

The Kef 105/3s have taken just about 2 years to refurb.

Fully re-capped , all bass units re-foamed, voice coils replaced, Cabs French polished and all other units checked for defects.

AS NEW.

I would consider these are the best 105/3s that exist in this modern world.

Just love them.... a sound from the days of old.

A work of love!! "just for me" "selfish I know"

We all do stuff that pleases......yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Slav.

And now I want one , thank you Peter , I might treat myself while I'm waiting for my Zyx inspection results (3 weeks already and by look of it few more , I don't think I'll buy Zyx again in the future)
    How do you piggy back both ground tags ?
    We both have same amplification and I use Kef as well but new reference standmount speakers , very musical and enjoyable.
    What brand of power tubes do you use

I'm Peter.

Hi Slav,
    Answers in order.

Mine is the 4 pin type, however, for the 3 pin connection you can either leave one of the ground connections off or solder the ground leads together. Or better still buy the 4 pin adapter (available from Devine Audio.

McIntosh Tubes (current)

KT88 Gold Lion (Genalex-Gold Loin RU) "Matched Quad set"

ECC83 / 12AX7WA ( Philips ECG JAN) "Matched Quad set"

ECC81 / CV4024- MULLARD " Matched Pair"

Much better than the original McIntosh stock valves. Very sweet and loads of bass.

Hope that answers you question.

Peter

I'm Russell.

The Townshend is awesome! Tell me, I'm guessing you've used it with and without the trough? Or even different fluids in it? Are the differences immediately audible? What quality does it bring to playback? (I'm shopping for one as I type)

I'm Peter.

Sorry but I'm a bit of a diehard about the Rock TT. I had over the last 40 years, just about every model ever produced.

Now with the Rock 7 Mk2 with the Merlin power supply (the last of its kind), as Max has stopped production of this deck.

Never had the inclination to use without the front end damping (that's the whole point of the Townsend).

There are of course differing views on on this but for me it just works.

Never messed with the fluid and always get it direct from Townsend.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question to the wrong person as I am truly biased but for me..... this is one of the finest TT's out there.... I certainly have heard a few high end TT's but none can match the sound this TT produces.

I'll shut up now (it's a personal view) and others will have their own views.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Thanks for that .

The Kef 105/3s have taken just about 2 years to refurb.

Fully re-capped , all bass units re-foamed, voice coils replaced, Cabs French polished and all other units checked for defects.

AS NEW.

I would consider these are the best 105/3s that exist in this modern world.

Just love them.... a sound from the days of old.

A work of love!! "just for me" "selfish I know"

We all do stuff that pleases......yes

IF I can sort out a faulty tweeter on mine (no replacement ones available I've heard) I'll then be going down the same road of refoaming the bass units. Crossover already rebuilt. I'm really missing them! The Spendors that are standing in at the moment ain't really in the same ball park unfortunately...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Sorry but I'm a bit of a diehard about the Rock TT. I had over the last 40 years, just about every model ever produced.

Now with the Rock 7 Mk2 with the Merlin power supply (the last of its kind), as Max has stopped production of this deck
    Very interesting - could you give me an idea about what has changed in terms of sound quality since the original Rock? Are the latest decks the best?
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Peter.

A short question but a very long answer

I would have a read for yourself, masses of info on the inter-web.

However, my personal favourite of all was the Rock Reference. Built like a tank and I was an absolute numpty to get rid of it.

Various models made improvements to bearings / mass / platter/power supply ( Merlin) / drive motors and of course the Excalibur tone arm (many different versions).

There are some Rock II's available but not worth buying without the Merlin and modified motor. (again a difficult purchase)

Put it this way.... I have never seen another Townsend/Cranfield Rock reference for sale (rarer than hens teeth) or if one did come up for sale..... I doubt I could afford it !!!

The Rock 7 is a combination of all the previous designs with the addition of some Townsend innovations, like the spring air suspension, . (the fore runner to the seismic suspension) and of course the very usual platter material, massive bearing assembly and of course, the revised Merlin power supply.

I could go on for ever but I don't really think Townsend made a bad TT, all have their merits and some are built better than others.

Of course, you could get a TT only, and put your own arm on. Well suited to SME 3000 series or V if you have the budget.

Hope this brief summary was of some use..

I can only say that getting rid of the Rock Reference is still painful.... one of the biggest mistakes that I have ever made.... hay ho, we live and learn.

I was speaking to Max recently and his next TT (Still in Design) is out of my price range by a factor of 10 (it will probably be £30,000 +) and targeted for the Asian market.

So any previous models may be worth a punt.

Peter

I'm Peter.

Sorry, I also meant to mention the Rock 5 (another mistake) to sell.

Again as rare....... as the reference!

PB

I'm shahrin.

Peter, superb looking set up.
    Never heard a Decca (and may never - cant imagine there are too many outside UK)
    Arent they supposed to perform best in unipivots?
    and the silicone damper attached to the front end of the SME arm - does every Townsend hve one of those ?
    so u have to connect whatever headshell/arm wand to it somehow?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast