+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of SCALE, the ever amazing ESL57.

I'm Alan.

Default In search of SCALE, the ever amazing ESL57.

OK, this is in Past Masters as the main back end transducers (speakers) are my veritable Quad ESL57.

As reported on the MiBO thread the ESL57 can do a pretty remarkablbe (wine overload - I could have corrected it, but though it more amusing to leave it) job as PA speakers

Shirley was out this morning and I was playing 'Pacific AM' from side C of the new Yello album 'Toy'.
    Now for those that know this track it has SCALE in spades. No need to pretend, I whacked the volume up .

By jimminy what an experience
    I have plenty of power on tap, plus a rather good sub that extends the bass response Waaaay down. Absolutely sublime SCALE to the performance.

In fact it is so good I do have a small problem, if I whack the volume up too much I get airbourne feedback from the sub into the TT deck/arm/cartridge (don't know which) that sets the sub cone off at huge amplitude at a very low frequency, say about 3Hz

Scale of performance = wow.

I'm Geoff.

Put an LF filter in?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Yes I've thought that might be needed Geoff
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well at least it shows your system has a response down to 3Hz. (Good job the resonance is not at 7Hz though!)
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    OK, this is in Past Masters as the main back end transducers (speakers) are my veritable Quad ESL57.

As reported on the MiBO thread the ESL57 can do a pretty remarkablbe (wine overload - I could have corrected it, but though it more amusing to leave it) job as PA speakers

Shirley was out this morning and I was playing 'Pacific AM' from side C of the new Yello album 'Toy'.
    Now for those that know this track it has SCALE in spades. No need to pretend, I whacked the volume up .

By jimminy what an experience
    I have plenty of power on tap, plus a rather good sub that extends the bass response Waaaay down. Absolutely sublime SCALE to the performance.

In fact it is so good I do have a small problem, if I whack the volume up too much I get airbourne feedback from the sub into the TT deck/arm/cartridge (don't know which) that sets the sub cone off at huge amplitude at a very low frequency, say about 3Hz

Scale of performance = wow.
    Errr listened to Pacific Am tonight on DAVE and BLU 2 M-scaler and as you can imagine Alan it is has scale to die for. I thought wow that was mind blowing until Steve put on a track from Electrified album which was where the original track came from. Pacific am is a version that was watered down for Toy . The track Steve played was beyond anything you could imagine! Seriously good stuff. Glad you enjoying it on your system.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Russell.

Is the feedback airborne or coming through the floor/rack? Does relocating the sub change anything? Or perhaps some isolation under the 'Table?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

I've been experimenting with the orientation of the sub, it is normally downward firing.
    With it front firing it doesn't have the same augmentation as downwards, so instead I have reversed it so that the port is further from the wall, instead of adjacent.
    I think this helps, anyway it's getting too loud

I'm Justin.

Doesn't the phono stage have a subsonic filter?

You should find the sub goes nuts with vinyl anyway if the phono stage LF filtering slope is shallow? My ML Descent used to. My Apogee panels simply show how appalling vinyl is at LF. showing all sorts of movement that just isn't part of the source caused by ripples in the vinyl, pops and clicks etc. Indeed, you can watch the same track being playing digitally and the panel excursions make visible sense. Not so with vinyl.

Sorry vinyl lovers... please don't take this as a bait. Just stating facts. And you can see it in cones too.

I never used my ML sub when playing vinyl unless inebriated. The Apogee panels go nuts with sub 20Hz input from vinyl, right down to very low LF.

I'm Alan.

No filter Justin, I 'just let it flow'

Yes the cone does wobble about a bit when playing vinyl

I'm Justin.

I think that's what my Trichord Diablo does based on the visible evidence.

The Accuphase monos have subsonic filters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast