+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of SCALE, the ever amazing ESL57.

I'm Jez.

I never fit subsonic filtering on any phono stage I build. I'm dead against it!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Surprised by that. Doesn't having to deal with the low frequency sludge put a strain on the amplifier?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Surprised by that. Doesn't having to deal with the low frequency sludge put a strain on the amplifier?
    Not really no. I'm surprised you're surprised! I wouldn't entertain a phono stage with subsonic filtering! and before you ask, cos the filter is a bad idea for the SQ.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Even if it only filters below 20Hz?

The only reason I'm surprised is because I don't know or understand the technicalities, just going off what I've read.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Even if it only filters below 20Hz?

The only reason I'm surprised is because I don't know or understand the technicalities, just going off what I've read.
    The lowest frequencies in music would be the 16Hz from pipe organ..... This coincides with the highest arm cart resonance frequencies. Can't remove one without the other! More generally, a filter at 20Hz would start to effect LF phase from about 200Hz down and if the filter turnover is at 20Hz it will probably be a touch down at even 40Hz. I find this noticeable.
    The subsonics we would like to remove are just too close to the lowest bass frequency we want to keep at the end of the day, and the steeper we make the filter the worse in non linear phase, transient response and ringing the filter will be

Some will counter with Doppler distortion and varying position of voice coil affecting speaker linearity.... but I know which compromise I prefer Bass always sounds lacking in ultimate extension and somehow just not quite right to me when a subsonic filter is in place.

danilo Guest

Interesting info.
    Once had a unit with subsonic filtering (switchable) I never liked it, finding that when the filter was on Bass seemed as gelded.
    In truth I didn't keep that thing long as it wasn't overly good in any respect.
    At least now I have some inkling as to the why.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Interesting info.
    Once had a unit with subsonic filtering (switchable) I never liked it, finding that when the filter was on Bass seemed as gelded.
    In truth I didn't keep that thing long as it wasn't overly good in any respect.
    At least now I have some inkling as to the why.
    A good description of the subjective effect!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    The lowest frequencies in music would be the 16Hz from pipe organ..... This coincides with the highest arm cart resonance frequencies. Can't remove one without the other! More generally, a filter at 20Hz would start to effect LF phase from about 200Hz down and if the filter turnover is at 20Hz it will probably be a touch down at even 40Hz. I find this noticeable.
    The subsonics we would like to remove are just too close to the lowest bass frequency we want to keep at the end of the day, and the steeper we make the filter the worse in non linear phase, transient response and ringing the filter will be

Some will counter with Doppler distortion and varying position of voice coil affecting speaker linearity.... but I know which compromise I prefer Bass always sounds lacking in ultimate extension and somehow just not quite right to me when a subsonic filter is in place.
    So all your gear is DC-coupled?
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So all your gear is DC-coupled?
    Some is, some isn't. Completely irrelevant. It's usually flat to below 1Hz even if capacitor coupled.

I'm Stephen.

Have you ever tried adding the Neumann constant to a phono stage? I tried years ago, but can't remember what the result was.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast