+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional / sad tracks

I'm shahrin.

Default Emotional / sad tracks

Was watching Manchester by the Sea few weeks ago and without giving anything a way there is a tragic moment and the accompanying music is an emotional classical track.
    Of course i have Sound Hound on me phone and that tells me not just what music it is but exactly what track it is - Adagio in G minor for Strings and Organ (after T Albioni), David Parry conducting the LPO - 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music.

So i get the album and i come across another very sad moving piece - Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings
    Wikipaedia tells me: Alexander J. Morin, author of Classical Music: The Listener's Companion, said that the piece was "full of pathos and cathartic passion" and that it "rarely leaves a dry eye."
    while Thomas Larson remarked that the piece "evokes a deep sadness in those who hear it"

Finally Johnny Cash s rendition of Hurt - originally by 9 inch Nails - from one of his American albums, 4 i think,does pull hard at the heartstrings.
    Only he could have done it like this. There is an especially moving video made by a famous music vid director that had to be rushed cause Mr Cash was not well. June Carter made an appearance in it.
    She was dead 3 months after the video was made and the man himself was gone at 7 months.

So my 3 emotional tracks are :
    Adagio in G minor for Strings and Organ (after T Albioni)
    Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings
    Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt

weep
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Geoff.

Art Garfunkel's rendering of the traditional song 'Barbara Allen', from his album Angel Clare, is a tour de force in melancholy. Sumptuously done and dripping with sorrow. Rather corny really, but it certainly qualifies as very sad. Like many old traditional songs, it has some beauty to it regardless of who may be singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxQd...1831D6EAA4EB27
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Its a great old song Barbra Allen. Yes its a decent album all in actually. How he gets those highs tho I dont know
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Its a great old song Barbra Allen. Yes its a decent album all in actually. How he gets those highs tho I dont know
    I agree. Angel Clare is very good. Still have it on vinyl.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Another candidate. 'When I am Laid in Earth' (Dido's Lament), from Dido and Aeneas by Purcell.

Sung by Elin Manahan Thomas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQq3HcOB0Y

And the orchestral interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUQu9gyt5XQ

This is a wonderful piece of music.

I'm Loz.

In classical terms Mahler's 5th Symphony. Part III Adagietto. That'll get you everytime!

There are many for me that can turn on the waterworks but at the moment Rufus Wainwright's 'Dinner At Eight' is the one!

I'm Paul.

I don't know about anyone else, but this used to get me every morning at about 11am back in the day :

Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Paul.

On a serious note, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned songs either played at the funeral of a loved one or the dreaded "our song" of an ex-gf/bf/wife/hubby/partner.

For me, I find it hard to listen to Edith Piaf's .. Rien as it was the last song played at the funeral of a friend's daughter who committed suicide following a severe bout of schizophrenia a few years ago.
    I'd known her all her life and she was only 20, fluent in French, studying it at the university where I was working at the time.

I thought I'd cried myself out at the actual funeral and was composing myself to leave when the ceremony came to a close, the curtains closing around her coffin .. then Piaf's voice started up and I began bawling again .. sheesh, I'm not far off it now either

But that's personal.
    On purely musical terms, I've not really experienced anything like that level of sadness despite loving both Adagio and that Mahler symphony - both great shouts, btw.

Some boffin on here will no doubt explain how the descending cadences of a recidivist chord regression triggers a certain part of the brain before long though ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    On a serious note, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned songs either played at the funeral of a loved one or the dreaded "our song" of an ex-gf/bf/wife/hubby/partner.

For me, I find it hard to listen to Edith Piaf's .. Rien as it was the last song played at the funeral of a friend's daughter who committed suicide following a severe bout of schizophrenia a few years ago.
    I'd known her all her life and she was only 20, fluent in French, studying it at the university where I was working at the time.

I thought I'd cried myself out at the actual funeral and was composing myself to leave when the ceremony came to a close, the curtains closing around her coffin .. then Piaf's voice started up and I began bawling again .. sheesh, I'm not far off it now either

But that's personal.
    On purely musical terms, I've not really experienced anything like that level of sadness despite loving both Adagio and that Mahler symphony - both great shouts, btw.

Some boffin on here will no doubt explain how the descending cadences of a recidivist chord regression triggers a certain part of the brain before long though ..
    Yes i could. But wont go there. the worst one(played at my sons funeral still comes on radio and I have to turn off) is a robbie williams one I think. think its called Angels or sommat. takes me back to those dark days
    Last edited by struth; 04-05-2017 at 13:32. Reason: Edited artist..im getting old doh
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

A quick Baker's Dozen of saddish songs on my current "walkman" playlist.

1. "Let Them In" by John Gorka. Anti-war song lamenting loss of young lives.

2.Along the same anti-war lines: Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding" by Robert Wyatt.

3. "Millworker" by Emmylou Harris. A song written by James Taylor that captures the misery of a life of drudgery.

4. "The River" by Bruce Springsteen. The death of blue collar aspirations.

5. "The Grave" by Don McLean. Still remember hearing it for the first time at my cousin's place back in 1971 when it first came out.

6. Must include a Randy Newman song so "Marie" performed by Rumer

7. "Galveston" as performed by Jimmy Webb on "10 Easy Pieces". Another anti-war song from the perspective of unwilling protagonist.

8. One from Otis Redding, "Pain in My Heart".

9. "If I Had a Gun" by Diana Jones. Difficult choosing one song from DJ as her voice has a melancholy quality that permeates all her songs.

10. Something by Scott Walker too, so it's "No Regrets"

11. No elaboration necessary: "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday.

12. No sad list would be complete without something from Laughing Len. "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen

13. Finally a nod to the Beatles as songwriters. "In My Life" sung by Johnny Cash.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast