+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Stereo Sound Different when others are in the room?

I'm Russell.

Default Does Your Stereo Sound Different when others are in the room?

Of course it doesn't, not really. Does it? What I'm talking about is the psychological effect of having someone else in the room listening with you. When I'm home alone, and play an album, I listen deeply, I crank it up to my satisfaction, I don't worry about content or if the bass is too loud.

But when I'm entertaining, then I'm conscious of what the other person is thinking, is this too loud? Do they like this record? Probably more than anything I am concerned about my selections, and usually try to get them to suggest what they want to hear. In an effort to be a good host. I don't want to just blast away whatever odd music that appeals to me and run them off! Unless, of course, I want to run them off!

Anyway, it just occurred to me that listening to my stereo alone is quite different from listening with someone else in the room. So is it even more different with more than two in the room? Does it multiply? So I drop back and start playing all my best recorded stuff like I was at an audio show or something? And how does alcohol affect this phenomena?

Personally I like having others over to listen, to spin records and have a few drinks. It beats watching reruns on tv. But somehow it is a much different activity than listening alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Probably sounds worse. Does for me anyway.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

In that situation if you ask someone what they want to listen to they always say 'Oh, anything.' So don't bother asking anymore. I figure if they really wanted to hear something in particular they would have brought it with them. I try not to cheat by playing 'audiophile' recordings. Don't have many of them anyway.

Worst is when you go to some other enthusiast's gaff and it sounds so objectionable that you want to ask them to turn it down but you don't in case it is seen as rude. That's happened to me a couple of times. Not with anyone who is a member here though
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Question Does Your Stereo Sound Different when others are in the room?

Only if they have BO!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Only if they wont stop nattering

I'm Geoff.

Dunno. I normally have headphones on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Or you invite this guy along:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

danilo Guest

Only when other people mess up the room balance.
    A few moving 200 lb lumps tends to do that

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In that situation if you ask someone what they want to listen to they always say 'Oh, anything.' So don't bother asking anymore. I figure if they really wanted to hear something in particular they would have brought it with them. I try not to cheat by playing 'audiophile' recordings. Don't have many of them anyway.

Worst is when you go to some other enthusiast's gaff and it sounds so objectionable that you want to ask them to turn it down but you don't in case it is seen as rude. That's happened to me a couple of times. Not with anyone who is a member here though
    I have been there! Too many times I've been invited to someone else's house to hear their system, and it's terrible! And after torturing me, they look at me with that expression of wanting my approval. To which I usually answer it has potential! And of course the one guy who has all solid state Harman Kardon. So shrill to make the fillings in your teeth rattle! So, after being tortured by this guy, I invite him to my house to hear my stereo, and he refuses, says he already owns the best so no reason for him to hear anything else! What a pompous arse! I wanted to tell him slam off, but held my tongue and laughed to myself. I guess it's easy to own the best stereo in the world with an attitude like that.

When it comes to entertaining others, if they pick something they want to hear that's good, but some folks just aren't into it. But I've got a few friends that come just to hear the stereo! They feel it is much cheaper to bring beer to my house than to have one of their own. Of course nothing pleases me more than for someone to come to spin records. With these people I worry less about content, and welcome their selections, they will pick something different from my regular rotation. But if I've got 4 people listening, then I feel more pressure to pick some Audiophile grade recordings. Either way, it's always a much different experience from listening by myself. And I do believe the stereo sounds better if I am alone. Much of the listening experience is psychological, we can try to separate ourselves from it, and be logical and objective, but what's the point?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    That's when you crank up the volume until you can't hear them!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast