+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fancy a cheap passive pre-amp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

Default Fancy a cheap passive pre-amp?

Just as a bit of fun and something else to play with, I've been using one of these for a little while: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Bea...4AAOSwZ4dZEtWt

It's dirt cheap, but well built and looks pretty funky and it sounds way better than you'd expect. It works a treat with my Quad 306. I'd imagine it would pair up well with a Leak Stereo 20 as well. At twenty five quid you can't go far wrong really, even if it's just kept as a back-up. You do have to wait for it to arrive from China. Mine took about three weeks. The seller is reputable.

These are available from various far east sellers and 10k, 20k and 50k options can be found. Mine has the 20k pot.

Last edited by walpurgis; 31-05-2017 at 11:08.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

What a crazy price. Very tempted.

I use a Creek passive with the Stereo 20 and the 306 / 303 so having a spare sounds a very good idea. I wonder if I will hear any difference!

I'm Geoff.

Hi Gordon.

I had a Creek passive years ago and from memory, I'd guess this Little Bear could be better. I found the Creek slightly thick sounding and I was using a Stereo 20 at the time, that's not something I'd accuse the Little Bear of.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Interesting!
    So it can be used as a 2 input passive pre? - 1 RCA and 1 XLR?

Would go well with Jez's impedance buffer widget.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    That's a distinct possibilty.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting!
    So it can be used as a 2 input passive pre? - 1 RCA and 1 XLR?

Yes it would. Any passive will work equally well with it and it converts the passive into an active. I wouldn't touch one of those little bear ones with a ten foot pole personally though. Too cheap to do the job reliably. Handy for those who don't want to bung a decent pot in a box and build it themselves though.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Im looking at the ones from Tisbury Audio and NVA.

The passive pre and power seems to be absolutely ideal and Im feeling the vibe. Im just wondering If I need XLR?

That little bear product just looks a bit cheap and just doesnt do it for me. Little Bear? I will buy into a nice wood panel and a UK quality vibe. Hand crafted by angels in the countryside will have me reaching for my wallet Made In the UK is a big selling point for me

I will have to search for more threads on passive pre amps

Best wishes
    Martin

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Im looking at the ones from Tisbury Audio and NVA.

The passive pre and power seems to be absolutely ideal and Im feeling the vibe. Im just wondering If I need XLR?

That little bear product just looks a bit cheap and just doesnt do it for me. Little Bear? I will buy into a nice wood panel and a UK quality vibe. Hand crafted by angels in the countryside will have me reaching for my wallet Made In the UK is a big selling point for me

I will have to search for more threads on passive pre amps

Best wishes
    Martin
    Hi Martin
    Good choice, viewed properly you are further money away from a proper passive - one that
    has no grinding contacts or wiping surfaces, at all, in the signal path.

Cheers / Chris

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    ... a proper passive - one that has no grinding contacts or wiping surfaces...
    Light Dependent Resistor is adamant that mechanical/physical contacts are a problem from an audio point of view but personally I'm not convinced.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Light Dependent Resistor is adamant that mechanical/physical contacts are a problem from an audio point of view but personally I'm not convinced.
    I disagree with him as strongly as is possible within the way things must be worded on the forum and believe that LDR's are a bad way of doing the job as they measurably add distortion.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast