+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radford Revival "The PreAmp"

I'm Jez.

One for Will. I was looking at an old Hi Fi Year Book and came across Radford Ista and Ima power amps.... I don't recall ever seeing reference to these ever before. What was the story with these?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    One for Will. I was looking at an old Hi Fi Year Book and came across Radford Ista and Ima power amps.... I don't recall ever seeing reference to these ever before. What was the story with these?
    Personally I'm not sure - I've seen them mentioned too but never seen one myself. My father Steve might know. I believe they were a bit similar to the K25 studio amps and I think we even have a PCB for one somewhere.

There are a few 'ghost' Radford products you see mentioned but appear to have never existed or are just incredibly rare to the point that no one appears to have ever seen one. They may never have made it to production.

One example, though it exists, is the 'STA60' which is actually just the original name for the STA100. They found they could get 100W out of the thing so decided to name it that at the last minute (This is hearsay so I can't say if this truly happened or not, though the STA60 and STA100 are identical.)

There is also an STA20 that is mentioned somewhere. Someone emailed me with pictures of what may have been one - if it was real it seems to be a hybrid of an STA15 and 25 as you might expect. Visually it was identical to the STA15 and had a GZ34 socket.

There is an STA7 of which I've only ever seen one example of, it was on ebay a year or so ago.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rd-Electronics

I believe they were successors to the MA/STA 15 and MA/STA 25 series of the mid '60s and used ideas employed in video circuitry.
    Barry

I'm Will.

In that case we definitely don't have a PCB for one!
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    Personally I'm not sure - I've seen them mentioned too but never seen one myself. My father Steve might know. I believe they were a bit similar to the K25 studio amps and I think we even have a PCB for one somewhere.

There are a few 'ghost' Radford products you see mentioned but appear to have never existed or are just incredibly rare to the point that no one appears to have ever seen one. They may never have made it to production.

One example, though it exists, is the 'STA60' which is actually just the original name for the STA100. They found they could get 100W out of the thing so decided to name it that at the last minute (This is hearsay so I can't say if this truly happened or not, though the STA60 and STA100 are identical.)

There is also an STA20 that is mentioned somewhere. Someone emailed me with pictures of what may have been one - if it was real it seems to be a hybrid of an STA15 and 25 as you might expect. Visually it was identical to the STA15 and had a GZ34 socket.

There is an STA7 of which I've only ever seen one example of, it was on ebay a year or so ago.
    Interesting info Will They were available for purchase according to the 1965 hi fi year book where they are described as "Reference standard power amplifiers". A "Patented feedback circuit" is claimed as is "provides larger power over frequency range 10c/s to 50Kc/s than is normally available from domestic hi fi amplifiers".

There is an IMA30 monoblock of 30W which uses KT88's, ISTA30 stereo version at £67 10S (STA25 £50) and ISTA60 at £85 and which although rated at 60WPC mentions 80W available 1% distortion.

Interestingly though, there is a Radford ad near the back of the book which mentions only the STA15 and 25....

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Will.

I have a feeling Radford had a habit of announcing products before they were ready.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Jez.

Ah I see Barry posted before me with much more info

I'm Will.

Interestingly enough I have been developing my own amplifier circuitry with similar ideas, achieving more feedback than is usually possible. Theoretically a ten-fold decrease in distortion!
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Edward.

So I had a preamp shoot out over the weekend here and at a mate's house.

Preamps tried included Radford Revival, Musical Fidelity PreAmp II (60s vintage), Tisbury passive, Cambridge Audio 851N and 840E, Electrocompaniet and an Audio Note.

Speakers included: PMC LB1S, XTZ Divine Alpha and Celestion A3. Amps were a Radford Revival STA25 and a pair of Musical Fidelity A308s.

Essentially all combinations tried were great with lots of musical emotion.

Here is a brief summary of the preamps (working from memory - I really ought to take notes).

Radford Revival - wide open, sweet, engaging, very 'musical'.

Musical Fidelity PreAmp II - great dynamics, open - but now showing its age (+40 years old) as focus not spot on. A recap may cure things.

Tisbury Passive - engaging, smooth but soft and lacking in dynamics.

Cambridge Audio 851N - Fast and engaging but somehow not 'organic'.

Cambridge Audio 840e - similar to above and very slightly veiled.

Electrocompaniet - super smooth and musical but somewhat soft.

Audio Note (kit built about 7 years ago and not used until now) - Similar to the Radford - wide open sweet etc. But bass a bit lacking. Higher grade caps may well cure that.

Anyway all mentioned fwiw.

My current setup for next few days is: Radford preamp > Radford Revival STA25 > Celestion A3. (next few days only as the A3s lack WAF and I will need to go back to the PMCs).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. The Musical fidelity PreAmp II can't be forty years old and from the sixties.

I had one years ago. It dates from the later seventies or early eighties if I'm correct. Didn't rate it much to be honest, it wasn't a patch on the Rappaport Pre 2 I was mainly using.

Can't comment on the others, as I've not tried them, but I reckon my TVC would give all a run for their money!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast