+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppliers of new R2R tape..............?

I'm Bob.

Default Suppliers of new R2R tape..............?

Well, it's in the title really. Sale agreed today and I will soon be the owner of an Akai GX 635D.

Probably lots of questions to follow, but can anyone offer some guidance on tape suitability and where to get it from?

First dip into the pool of R2R. I'd like to source new tape and stay away from old or used.

Was TDK SA ever supplied on 10.5" reels? Seem to remember it worked well on cassette.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Try Thomann-

https://m.thomann.de/gb/rtm_lpr_90_1...rch=1496170150

There is also ATR tape for a bit more.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You'll need to buy some empty reels too if you don't get some with the deck, and also NAB adaptors.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Bob.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know Thomann stocked this stuff, just know them for guitars and amps so that's very useful.

NABs come with the deck which is lucky as most seem to be stripped and sold separately. It also has a couple of 10.5" reels thrown in to get started so are probably of indeterminate quality. They're certainly not a matched pair.

Is there any make of tape to beware of........?

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Chris.

Try TapeCity as well, I go between them and Thomann as one will always be cheaper than the other.

http://www.tapecity.co.uk

I use the LPR35 tape and find its quality very good, this is all brand new manufactured tape, as is the SM900 which I have never used.

Beware of what is called New Old stock, but others here maybe able to guide you on that as I am not sure about it myself and have
    never purchased any.

Nice piece of kit you have got yourself there
    Last edited by Cas; 31-05-2017 at 08:34.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Try Thomann-

https://m.thomann.de/gb/rtm_lpr_90_1...rch=1496170150

There is also ATR tape for a bit more.
    This link goes to what is known as a Pancake it comes without a reel, it is a cheaper way to buy tape but you will have to get it onto a reel.

I find the easiest way is to take apart a metal reel, undo the three screws this leaves you with the three parts, Two side plates and the center spool.

Just replace the center spool with the pancake screw back together and away you go, well besides adding leader tape if you require.
    Tape splicers and splicing blocks can be found on Ebay, Tapecity sell leader tape and the leader splicing tape as do Thomann.

Becarefull if you buy the pancakes as you do not want it to fall apart, not had one do it yet.
    Last edited by Cas; 31-05-2017 at 11:15.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep that's what I do, considerably cheaper than buying it on the reel.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

BTW Bob, a good idea to get some head cleaner and a demagnitiser. Regular use of these really makes a difference to a regularly used deck.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    This link goes to what is known as a Pancake it comes without a reel, it is a cheaper way to buy tape but you will have to get it onto a reel.

I find the easiest way is to take apart a metal reel, undo the three screws this leaves you with the three parts, Two side plates and the center spool.

Just replace the center spool with the pancake screw back together and away you go, well besides adding leader tape if you require.
    Tape splicers and splicing blocks can be found on Ebay, Tapecity sell leader tape and the leader splicing tape as do Thomann.

Becarefull if you buy the pancakes as you do not want it to fall apart, not had one do it yet.
    I've watched a vid on pancakes and it does look logical providing you're careful. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    BTW Bob, a good idea to get some head cleaner and a demagnitiser. Regular use of these really makes a difference to a regularly used deck.
    I was contemplating Isopropyl Alcohol for head cleaning. Any steers on demagnetisers?

With the exception of cassette back in the 70's / 80's I'm new to all this and soaking up knowledge like a sponge. It's an itch I've been longing to scratch for the last couple of years or so, but there's a lot of overpriced mediocrity out there.

There does seem to be a refreshingly wide selection of new tape available. I'm trying to find something that says "This is the tape to use with an Akai 635D". I remember from the cassette days that some tapes worked better than others.........

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I just kept an on ebay and bought an old secondhand demag that came up. New ones seem to go for silly prices.

Just seen these new ones though, will do the job fine-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analogue-S...IAAOSw-vlVjV6b

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast