+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does having equal length cable make a difference or not?

I'm Andrew.

Question Does having equal length cable make a difference or not?

I have always tried to keep speaker cable length the same for speakers regardless of the distance each one is away from the amp but does it really matter at these short lengths due to the speed which electricity travels, or is there another reason (impedance\resistance etc) for keeping them the same, or do people think it doesn't matter?

I'm Martin.

You have to get to really long lengths before it is even possible that it could matter. For obsessive audiophile reasons I always like to keep them the same length. Obsessive audiophile reasons always trump reality, as we all know
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Go for symmetry if you're OCD about OFC!

Geoff

I'm Grant.

unless its very high capacitance it shouldnt matter
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Obsessive audiophile reasons always trump reality, as we all know [/QUOTE]

Amen to that Martin
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

So as I thought, it is just my OCD (and others) then, makes searching for some reasonably priced decent cable on Ebay a bit easier then as my amp is about 2.5 metres closer to the right speaker than the left, thank you.

I'm Jonathan.

I had the same problem in my last house. 7m on the right and 2m on the left. Made no difference when compared with equal 7m cables. And better I believe than coiled speaker cable taking up the slack.

I'm Geoff.

I make my cables millimeter close in length. As I can, why not? But I don't reckon even a large discrepancy makes much odds really.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by bosa View Post
    I had the same problem in my last house. 7m on the right and 2m on the left. Made no difference when compared with equal 7m cables. And better I believe than coiled speaker cable taking up the slack.
    I think this is what I am going to do now, I do have a rather large "pile" of the current speaker cable for the right speaker stuffed behind the unit the amp is on!

I'm Neil.

Different lengths of cable DO make a significant difference - in the minds of OCD people.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast