+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How good is better than CD?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    If one had the means to set up a $300k record player, then he could access the original master tapes for much less, I'm guessing. So why make a needle drop if we can go back to the original master? Those who record for a living would fail to see the logic in recording from vinyl playback. Theoretically the master tape should be better? And probably is
    Nice idea, with one major flaw.
    You have to hope that the masters are not on Ampex tape, and unfortunately Ampex tape was one of the most widely used brands.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Nice idea, with one major flaw.
    You have to hope that the masters are not on Ampex tape, and unfortunately Ampex tape was one of the most widely used brands.
    That's true! If the original master tape is no longer with us, or had degraded, then recording from vinyl is your best option. I remember reading about a library that was doing, "needle drops", of old 78 speed shellacs, that their masters were lost to the ages, plus there was no tape in the 30's. Their effort was to preserve history, but they were trying to maintain the highest sound quality too, using software to clean up pops and ticks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

Glass platter & tear drop arm board?
    Yes.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Yes.
    I used to run one.
    It's still in a cupboard upstairs.
    I got a great deal of enjoyment listening to records using that deck, but it was never anything more than something a bit better than a starter deck.

A Thorens TD125 MkII easily showed it the door.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

I used to run one.
    It's still in a cupboard upstairs.
    I got a great deal of enjoyment listening to records using that deck, but it was never anything more than something a bit better than a starter deck.

A Thorens TD125 MkII easily showed it the door.
    Yes, I agree.

Goes to show that even a lowly entry level turntable can effortlessly surpass heavily modded and carefully configured Squeezebox Touch.
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 07-06-2017 at 19:43.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Have you messed about with it yet?
    The felt mat doesn't do any favours.
    The wirewound resistor in the PSU can be swapped for something a bit larger too, which in turn will reduce motor noise.
    Reduced motor noise means fewer vibrations transmitted into the belt, and ultimately the stylus has an easier time tracking the groove.
    Just getting the fibre board base off of the plinth improves the sound.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

Have you messed about with it yet?
    The felt mat doesn't do any favours.
    The wirewound resistor in the PSU can be swapped for something a bit larger too, which in turn will reduce motor noise.
    Reduced motor noise means fewer vibrations transmitted into the belt, and ultimately the stylus has an easier time tracking the groove.
    Just getting the fibre board base off of the plinth improves the sound.
    Haven't messed with it yet. My dealer, who assembled this Frankenstein for me, advised me in several strongly worded phrases to stay away from mats!

Not sure what exactly do you mean by 'getting the fibre board base off of the plinth'?

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Haven't messed with it yet. My dealer, who assembled this Frankenstein for me, advised me in several strongly worded phrases to stay away from mats!

Not sure what exactly do you mean by 'getting the fibre board base off of the plinth'?
    The fibre board base is underneath the plinth - IIRC it's held on by the screws that connect the feet to the blocks in the corners.
    Remove the fibre board, and you'll see the suspension members and springs.
    If you can already see the suspension members the fibre board has already been removed.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

The fibre board base is underneath the plinth - IIRC it's held on by the screws that connect the feet to the blocks in the corners.
    Remove the fibre board, and you'll see the suspension members and springs.
    If you can already see the suspension members the fibre board has already been removed.
    Thanks Chris. Being new to the tt tweaking, I'm afraid I'll need a bit more hand holding (I don't even know how to switch my tt to 45 rpm?!?)

So how do I check to see if the fibre board is there or is gone missing?

Alex.

A screwdriver (or two - I can't remember, as it's getting on towards 20 years since I last did it) is all you need.
    Undo the screws, remove the board.
    Refit feet if you need to remove them to get the bottom board off.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast