+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How good is better than CD?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Right. My premise was not the 'garage pirating', but big, legitimate publishing powerhouses. They have the capability to assemble top of the line analog front end (those $300,000 turntables and so on). They also have the capability to hire qualified engineers who will do the most perfect needle drops. And they also have the capability to hire top lawyers who would secure the copyright licensing. That could be a lucrative business model, selling digital music that sounds exactly like it would sound if you had the moolah to put a $300,000 turntable in your home!

So my thinking is that such awesome needle drops are more a figment of someone's imagination, not a real possibility.
    Well not really. I used to have loads of 'needle drops' on compact cassette. So did everyone I knew back then.

The difference then was we were young and poor. Now most of your potential market will be 50 plus and well-off. They can buy any record they want. Maybe not any pressing of course as some cost a bomb. But would they settle for a needle drop. My guess is most won't, because they would rather have the vinyl record even if it isn't the supposedly best pressing. They don't really want to have to put on a CD instead. Baby out with bathwater.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well not really. I used to have loads of 'needle drops' on compact cassette. So did everyone I knew back then.

The difference then was we were young and poor. Now most of your potential market will be 50 plus and well-off. They can buy any record they want. Maybe not any pressing of course as some cost a bomb. But would they settle for a needle drop. My guess is most won't, because they would rather have the vinyl record even if it isn't the supposedly best pressing. They don't really want to have to put on a CD instead. Baby out with bathwater.
    Even if I had the good pressing, I'd still like to be able to hear it on a much better turntable than I could afford. Therefore, if someone were to offer me a needle drop of that same record, only that needle drop sounds as if I have a $300,000 turntable in my room, I'd go for it.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Even if I had the good pressing, I'd still like to be able to hear it on a much better turntable than I could afford. Therefore, if someone were to offer me a needle drop of that same record, only that needle drop sounds as if I have a $300,000 turntable in my room, I'd go for it.
    What's a $300,000 turntable supposed to sound like?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Better than a $200,000 turntable?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What's a $300,000 turntable supposed to sound like?
    It's supposed to sound much better than my turntable.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

It's supposed to sound much better than my turntable.
    Which is?
    Chris

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Which is?
    Systemdek IIX

Alex.

Systemdek IIX
    Glass platter & tear drop arm board?
    Chris

I'm Russell.

If one had the means to set up a $300k record player, then he could access the original master tapes for much less, I'm guessing. So why make a needle drop if we can go back to the original master? Those who record for a living would fail to see the logic in recording from vinyl playback. Theoretically the master tape should be better? And probably is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Funny how things change. Through the seventies, recording LP's onto compact cassette was almost universal. Virtually no other means of playing your own music in the car or having portable sounds otherwise.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast