+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How good is better than CD?

I'm Clive.

In my opinion, if you haven't removed the LP cover from its protective sleeve, slid the inner sleeve from the cover, then carefully removed the vinyl record from said sleeve being careful to avoid touching the playing surface and then slowly putting the record on the turntable, giving the record a quick wipe (assuming you've used a RCM to remove all contaminates) with your anti-static brush. Then moving the arm over the beginning of the track (or album) and gently lowering the stylus onto said vinyl. If you haven't done all that, then you've missed a very important point of enjoying music from vinyl.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm James.

Hey all,

Thanks for you views and comments. Guess the turntable stays in the loft for a while then... Even if I did wire it into my system I really don't have much worth playing on it... probably due to the fact that when I had my music on vinyl I was mostly into punk & goth which to me, now sounds far better when in a box in the loft!

Cheers,

James

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    ...I find the whole idea of "needle drops" pretty moronic personally...

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Yes it is possible, firstly you need a custom built Class A stage RIAA preamp, secondly
    a type 1 DBX compander like a 150x, because you will never otherwise hear the full dynamic range
    LP's are capable of, thirdly a yamaha CDR HD1500. you need the hard to
    obtain and expensive integrated circuits DBX made. You need to align the DBX
    150x using the calibration procedure. Using a good moving coil cartridge and turntable needle drop
    and enjoy recording. Following recording playback - now compare A/B

and you really need one of these to hear it all,
    http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topi...grade-preview/

Cheers / Chris
    If I had a hundred grand lying around for me to spare on audio equipment, I could ostensibly buy an amazing analog front end. That front end would make my current mid-brow audio chain all of a sudden come alive!

So following that line of reasoning, if some studio that already has a hundred grand worth of front end were to do the needle drop using that esoteric equipment, they could then sell the FLACs. If I were to buy such needle drop FLACs, according to your explanation, I would be able to achieve the same quality on my system without dropping the hundred grand into the front end. That would be just amazing, but like I said, I never heard anyone having such amazing needle drops in their possession. The question is: why is that?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks for you views and comments. Guess the turntable stays in the loft for a while then... Even if I did wire it into my system I really don't have much worth playing on it... probably due to the fact that when I had my music on vinyl I was mostly into punk & goth which to me, now sounds far better when in a box in the loft!

Cheers,

James
    Now wrong with a bit of punk or goth,
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

Copyright?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

and the actual phrases "needle drop" and "bake off" themselves whilst I'm at it!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    If I had a hundred grand lying around for me to spare on audio equipment, I could ostensibly buy an amazing analog front end. That front end would make my current mid-brow audio chain all of a sudden come alive!

So following that line of reasoning, if some studio that already has a hundred grand worth of front end were to do the needle drop using that esoteric equipment, they could then sell the FLACs. If I were to buy such needle drop FLACs, according to your explanation, I would be able to achieve the same quality on my system without dropping the hundred grand into the front end. That would be just amazing, but like I said, I never heard anyone having such amazing needle drops in their possession. The question is: why is that?
    Because you need the rare combination, of shunning all forms of mediocrity, along with very good electronics skills. You also
    need above all, a passion for achieving extraordinary results.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Because you need the rare combination, of shunning all forms of mediocrity, along with very good electronics skills. You also
    need above all, a passion for achieving extraordinary results.
    Isn't that why there are all those publishing houses? Don't they specialize in producing highest quality wares for us to drool over and camp overnight in front of their stores so that we could purchase those fantastic products?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Russell.

I suppose if you had a hundred grand to do all these things, you could just get access to the original masters, and skip all the rest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast