+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How nice is this tonearm

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

There's also the thing for me (and I'm not saying that this applies to you) of folk simply strapping SME arms onto T/Ts because they're a simple (decent sounding) option, and easily obtained, but with it, also common as muck...!

It's probably the latter that turns me off them more than any aspect of their sound, as I like to be different and own things most others don't have, so in that respect am predisposed to admiring the obscure, rare or unusual. For me, that's all part of the attraction of owning vintage gear

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Try taking prunes Marco it really helps
    Heh-heh... A nice hot Thai green curry usually 'shifts' me, which I've just had! Looking forward to blowing the sheets off the bed later, and pressing out a few 'turtle-headed terrors' tomorrow morning....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ignore me though, as I'd just not put anything else on a vintage Jap T/T, than a (quality) vintage Jap tonearm
    Marco.
    Don't you have a relatively modern Danish arm on your own vintage Japanese deck?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Don't you have a relatively modern Danish arm on your own vintage Japanese deck?
    It's a Japanese manufactured arm made for a Danish company. Actually the Japanese manufacturer in question made many arms for other companies on an OEM basis.
    Barry

Yes, or rather wot Barry said. However, I don't own a genuinely vintage T/T. Perhaps if my Techy was the original one from 1972.... But, how many folk in the UK, who run a turntable, do you think own an RS-212D, or more so, its 12" brother?

I'd bet the total would be in single figures... Compare that with the many hundreds (if not thousands) of SME, Linn or Rega tonearms widely in use

However, if I had the type of T/T Adam or you have, you can bet your boots I'd have fitted a tonearm that's both in keeping with the period of the T/T, and a little 'off the wall'... I don't do 'obvious choices'.

That said, the most important thing is that YOU are happy with the results achieved and enjoy the music!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's a Japanese manufactured arm made for a Danish company. Actually the Japanese manufacturer in question made many arms for other companies on an OEM basis.
    Thanks for explaining the conundrum Barry. Out of curiosity what is the company concerned?

also common as muck...!

It's probably the latter that turns me off them more than any aspect of their sound, as I like to be different and own things most others don't have, so in that respect am predisposed to admiring the obscure, rare or unusual. For me, that's all part of the attraction of owning vintage gear

Marco.
    me too. You're right though SMEs don't fall in that category. 310s in silver are pretty hard to find though

Thanks for explaining the conundrum Barry. Out of curiosity what is the company concerned?
    Jelco

me too. You're right though SMEs don't fall in that category. 310s in silver are pretty hard to find though
    Sure... It's just the styling I'm not into (undoubtedly a personal thing). And it's not just with hi-fi gear that I like to own something different from the norm, but with most things I buy or am into. One thing I've always hated is blindly following the herd!

Therefore, if something's in fashion, or as per the buzzword often used these days, 'on trend', I'm liable to do the opposite!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

Yes, or rather wot Barry said. However, I don't own a genuinely vintage T/T. Perhaps if my Techy was the original one from 1972.... But, how many folk in the UK, who have a turntable, do you think own an RS-212D, or more so, its 12" brother? I'd bet the total would be in single figures

However, if I had the type of T/T Adam or you have, you can bet your boots I'd have fitted a tonearm that's both in keeping with the period of the T/T, and a little 'off the wall'... I don't do 'obvious choices'.

That said, the most important thing is that YOU are happy with the results achieved

Marco.
    Despite having opted for the 310, I'm inclined to agree with you Marco. An arm like the FR64S would be more in keeping with the deck. Indeed I considered an FR64FX that was on ebay at the time I bought the deck. I went for the 310 because it was available and the FR64FX was too heavy for my cartridge at the time. Sadly timing is everything in these matters and my budget then wouldn't stretch to a new deck, arm and cartridge.

I agree that there is a certain pleasure to be derived from owning something lovely and rare like your arm. Indeed, while SME arms might be commonplace in themselves, I doubt there are any others in the country mounted on a TTS-8000 and carrying a Purpleheart NOS.

I'm jamie.

that seller has some lovely jap tonearms listed,the prices seem good to.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Despite having opted for the 310, I'm inclined to agree with you Marco. An arm like the FR64S would be more in keeping with the deck. Indeed I considered an FR64FX that was on ebay at the time I bought the deck. I went for the 310 because it was available and the FR64FX was too heavy for my cartridge at the time. Sadly timing is everything in these matters and my budget then wouldn't stretch to a new deck, arm and cartridge.
    Absolutely, and like you say, the final choice is also cartridge dependent. As you probably know, I'm a 'high-mass/low-compliance man', which therefore significantly influences my choices in terms of carts and tonearms

I agree that there is a certain pleasure to be derived from owning something lovely and rare like your arm. Indeed, while SME arms might be commonplace in themselves, I doubt there are any others in the country mounted on a TTS-8000 and carrying a Purpleheart NOS.
    Damn right, and I'm sure it's a superb sounding combo! Also, my tonearm may be rare in the UK, but probably ten-a-penny in Japan (or Denmark).

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast