+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sibilance in general -- what is the most likely cause?

I'm Alex.

Question Sibilance in general -- what is the most likely cause?

Every now and then, I run into sibilance issues while playing LPs. It doesn't happen often, but it does tend to pop up once or twice during the regular listening week, prompting me to start thinking about what could be causing it.

For the most part, my cartridge/tonearm appears to be set properly, since I'm getting perfectly natural reproduction of the consonant 's', as it is being enunciated by the vocalists. But on a few occasions, it does get distorted. And it never fails to startle me. So my question is: given that there could be several reasons for this distortion, what, in your experience, is the most frequent cause? Is it the bad source (i.e. badly recorded vocals), or is it the worn LP, or is it the bad groove tracking? Or is it merely a not thoroughly cleaned vinyl?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jez.

Distortion from worn stylus, knackered records etc mainly. It can be from tape overload in cases where they've not been able to fully control the recording (live etc) or been able to do a "Take 2" after re-setting levels.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Peter.

I would agree with what has already been said.... worn stylus, knackered Records. But it's worth having a check of alignment, VTA, anti skate etc just to make sure, even if some recordings play ok.

Recently installed a new Decca Gold and had a similar problem. Not knackered Records but VTA not setup correctly.

Has this just suddenly become apparent?

A good test record and careful setup should sort out what is wrong.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I've found VTA to be a prime suspect with sibilance. Too little downforce can cause problems too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ken.

Do you get similar sibilance on CD or any other source?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Do you get similar sibilance on CD or any other source?
    Haven't checked.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    I would agree with what has already been said.... worn stylus, knackered Records. But it's worth having a check of alignment, VTA, anti skate etc just to make sure, even if some recordings play ok.

Recently installed a new Decca Gold and had a similar problem. Not knackered Records but VTA not setup correctly.

Has this just suddenly become apparent?

A good test record and careful setup should sort out what is wrong.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Almost all my LPs play fine. It is just that every now and then, on some older records, I get startled by the sibilance distortion.

My Rega RB300 tonearm doesn't have VTA adjustment...

Alex.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Haven't checked.
    Might be a good place to start before changing anything on your TT set up.
    Would quickly confirm or rule it out as the source of the problem, as there are other things that can cause sibilance.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Might be a good place to start before changing anything on your TT set up.
    Would quickly confirm or rule it out as the source of the problem, as there are other things that can cause sibilance.
    Good point. Thanks.

Alex.

I'm Shaun.

I used to get some sibilance many years ago which I found out was caused by a cartridge/arm mismatch. I had a low compliance moving coil in a low mass tonearm and as you would expect ran into tracking problems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast