+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shure cartridge hierarchy - looking to learn some stuff

danilo Guest

Having owned used Most all of the Shures (the worth owning ones) during the 70's.
    Hey! Shures were CHEAP carts ~20$ and it was only 3 or 4$ More to buy the entire cart than their replacement Stylus.. true.
    And parties took their toll of tips .
    Anything below an M75 was Not worth buying, even the 75 was arguable and only when Beer money was in short supply.
    V15's were overpriced and overrated, even then. Typically by Press shills :-). They simply weren't popular choices at their 100$ price tag.
    Stantons flew off the shelves in comparison.
    An M91e/d was a 15's equal at 1/4 the price. Bit later the m95 due to it's new tip design proved a bit more pleasing than the 91's.

Nostalgia is usually 95% selective memory.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Anything below an M75 was Not worth buying, even the 75 was arguable and only when Beer money was in short supply.
    V15's were overpriced and overrated, even then. Typically by Press shills :-). They simply weren't popular choices at their 100$ price tag.

It's difficult to reply to this sort of nonsense without falling foul of forum rules and etiquette.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Having owned used Most all of the Shures (the worth owning ones) during the 70's.
    Hey! Shures were CHEAP carts ~20$ and it was only 3 or 4$ More to buy the entire cart than their replacement Stylus.. true.
    And parties took their toll of tips .
    Stantons flew off the shelves in comparison.
    An M91e/d was a 15's equal at 1/4 the price. Bit later the m95 due to it's new tip design proved a bit more pleasing than the 91's.

Nostalgia is usually 95% selective memory.
    Yup. I think I agree with all that. Also, I liked the M91ED and had a couple of them, good cartridge. Never really got on with Stantons or the similar Pickerings. ADC's were favourite American carts though. Still have a few and use them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    It's difficult to reply to this sort of nonsense without falling foul of forum rules and etiquette.
    Actually. You just did Hugh. It's not good form to describe somebody's opinion as nonsense.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Not shure how you can call a m55e as not worth buying
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm malcolm.

M95 with Jico HE stylus is the one I still like to use (and M104 the TPE equivalent), along with a M55E.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Geoff.

I had a few M55E's back in the seventies and honestly can't say they left a memorable impression. There again, I didn't like the V15 or V15 II much, main memory is of an uninspired sound. The M91ED and M75ED were happy enough sounding devices though, especially considering the money.

I'm paul.

Not a p mount but the ultra 500 is top of the tree and my choice over anything else I've owned or heard.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12