+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Ohm resistor question...

I'm Taz.

Thanks Will, it was what I thought too.

The reason for my post is when I googled the speakers a came across a thread on another forum where the guy bought a pair only to find one sub not working, when he opened it up he saw the inductor had cooked.

After reading the Kef C200 installation instructions and it stated not to use the subs without bookshelf speakers attached.

I'm not sure of how to split the crossover and thought it'll be wiser to follow kef's instructions.

So now my question is which resistor should I use to take the load of the bookshelfs and where would be best to purchase it?

My apologies for my ignorance I've not come across anything like this before,

Regards
    Taz

Cooked inductor (images from the web)

Screenshot from installation manual

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TazSob; 01-06-2017 at 21:03. Reason: Grammar

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Thanks for that Will, we keep learning all the time.

In the OP's case then, best to disconnect the satellites output side of the crossover?
    I'm unfamiliar with the speakers but assuming there's a high pass section for the satellites, then yes the whole section of the filter could be disconnected (ie no filter in circuit not just an unloaded output), although if it is PCB based this could prove awkward.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Thanks Will, it was what I thought too.

The reason for my post is when I googled the speakers a came across a thread on another forum where the guy bought a pair only to find one sub not working, when he opened it up he saw the inductor had cooked.

After reading the Kef C200 installation instructions and it stated not to use the subs without bookshelf speakers attached.

I'm not sure of how to split the crossover and thought it'll be wiser to follow kef's instructions.

So now my question is which resistor should I use to take the load of the bookshelfs and where would be best to purchase it?

My apologies for my ignorance I've not come across anything like this before,

Regards
    Taz

Cooked inductor (images from the web)

Screenshot from installation manual

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Two of these should do the trick (one per channel assuming these are stereo subwoofers):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-8-Ohm...-/112395335569

If you are able to solder, solder wires to either end of the resistors and connect them to the satellite outputs of the subwoofer as if you would connect the satellites (presumably there are binding posts for this?) Polarity doesn't matter, they are just being used to absorb power. Mount the resistors away from anything heat sensitive and even better bolt them to some kind of heatsink. Ensure it is difficult or impossible for the resistor terminals to make contact with the other resistor's terminals or anything else electrical or ground.
    Last edited by Radford Revival; 02-06-2017 at 17:55. Reason: Clarification
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Will.

On further inspection they appear to be a fair bit physically smaller than I thought they were. I would recommend heat-sinking them. Mounting them both on a sheet of aluminium would probably do the trick to be honest. In the real world they wont see much dissipation.

For a bit of overkill there's always these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-ohm-100-...-/150665410056

These would be easier to mount free air. You'd really have to be going for it for them to warm up that's for sure.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Taz.

Thank you for the info and links Will, I was looking at the same wire-wound resistor too but as you mention could be a little on the small size and suffer from heating up.

I'll be grabbing a pair of the ceramic ones and add a heatsink to them.

Thanks again, very much appreciate the help

Regards,
    Taz

I'm Will.

No problem
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12