+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help clear up a question about MONOBLOCKS

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Are there advantages with seperate power supplies for each channel? Yes.
    Not if the amplifier is designed properly.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've just googled your MSB s200 and it looks phenomenal!! Looks to be dual mono ?
    yes its a phenomenal amp , the msb monoblocks made quite an impression on many somewhile back and then they bought out this stereo version which is just beautiful. almost valvelike but with none of the drawbacks . its remote control and deadly quiet too .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Russell.

Yes I think Monoblocks are used to solve weight problems. The new top drawer Krell's are in 4 cabinets. Each channel has its own power cabinet, and then amp cabinet. Each weighs close to the limits of the shipping companies.

Theoretically there are sonic improvements with monoblocks, they have total channel separation, do not share a transformer, or capacitor storage, or even an electrical circuit if you wire the house up that way. So in theory they are better, but those advantages could be hard to discern when comparing to the best of the one box amps. Perhaps if you have a very large room using very large and consumptuous speakers, it's advantages would be more easily revealed? Perhaps most of us just don't have the need for the extra performance a monoblock brings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm James.

I found monoblocks do make a difference but not sure if it was a difference I wanted. Sure if you want more power to drive large speakers in a large room then they maybe better. However I have heard very good stereo power amps do the same without a problem.

You get less crosstalk with mono block amps which in theory means you may get a slight improvement in precision and detail in the sound, probably most noticeable on vocals. You also get an ease to the music which is hard to quantify but is there none the less. Separate power supplies also a useful thing to have but again not always necessary if you have a well designed power amp.

I really think I would only use them to answer my first point, that being driving large speakers with awkward loads in big rooms.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

danilo Guest

Labels getting me mixed up ?
    Are not Mono blocks..Two separate Single channel Amps with their own everything.. including power cords?
    Dual mono being two separate Single channel amps in one case sharing only a Power transformer and it's secondaries ?
    Difference between the 2 being ; a case and individual Power tx's?
    What does one label the rest of amp configurations.. ?

I'm Jez.

I wrote a pretty long post addressing advantages and disadvantages in detail about 6 months ago... gawd knows exactly where on the site but it's there.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Dual mono being two separate Single channel amps in one case sharing only a Power transformer and it's secondaries ?
    Dual mono is separate everything except case. Including separate power transformers. Trio (Kenwood) and Harman Kardon did this amongst others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I like the idea of monoblocks as in laymans terms the separation of boxes with a more specific duty appeals to me. It always has as it just seems to make sense to separate the channels as much as possible and have one power supply/circuit covering one channel only.

I will be getting a passive pre and matching power amplifier this year with plans to upgrade to a pre with outputs for bi amping (and even tri amping...not fully sure how that works but it sounds like great one upmanship )

I am in touch with my hype meter and Im not sure if I could hear the difference in my price area between a well designed one box power and mono blocks. I am not an amplifier designer so could easily be persuaded that it reduces conflict issues and makes things pure.

I have to be honest that Im probably more in love with equipment that looks as though it means the business so I can say look Ive got a six pack I will be finding a good dealer and getting home trials with online ordering.

Cheers Martin

I'm Geoff.

I don't personally care these days. Mono's, dual monopower amp, stereo power amp, integrated. As long as the sound is right. I've owned each type. Designed properly, they should perform as well as each other.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I wrote a pretty long post addressing advantages and disadvantages in detail about 6 months ago... gawd knows exactly where on the site but it's there.
    IIRC I also went into when 2 and 3 box solutions to things like phono stages, pre amps, power amps etc were definitely a good idea, mainly marketing or even a bad idea at some length as well in the same thread.....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast