+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [VINYL] 2017

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    LOL... 1967, I was eight years old and we had a Dansette Tempo. Wonderful times listening to the Beatles, the Yardbirds, the Kinks and all of those classics; oh yeah, and Tom Jones.
    Cool... Love all those. I apart from Tom. But he's okay in moderation, lol

Will be getting my copy soon. 😁

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I did a comparison of within you without you tonight between the new mix and the 2012 stereo remaster.

One thing stood out and it was the sound of the Tabla which was always noted as sounding great on the original recording upfront and leaping out at you with a driving impetus to the song.

On the new mix it sounds more distant and less upfront and doesn't seem to have the same impetus? On the other hand George's vocals being centered have far more clarity and presence on the new mix, other instruments also seem to come to the fore, gains and losses perhaps just my impression, wonder if anyone else has noticed these differences?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Bob.

My copy is on order from Amazon @ £34.99 and destined to arrive in a day or so.

Amazon have also thrown in a download of the CD version which interestingly has 18 tracks on disc 2, including work in progress versions of Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. Quality is VBR between about 270 and 300 kbps, so perhaps not too shabby for a freebie. I'm sure I read somewhere that these two tracks came very close to being a part of the Sgt Pepper release but were shuffled off to be put out as a single.

I transferred both discs onto an AK70 and started listening on headphones via an aptX Bluetooth connection which turned out to be the wrong thing to do, sounding a bit bright and overblown. Turning off the Bluetooth and connecting with a cable put things into perspective. The overriding sensation that comes across is a different level of energy and articulation. I'll reserve further views for when the vinyl arrives.

But the thing that really grabbed my attention is the discussion and musical try outs by the band and George Martin as the different takes were being recorded. The Beatles achieved such a high success rate (although not 100%) with their songs that it's all too easy to think that they just walked into the studio and recorded. Not so, when you hear each member's comments and input whilst ideas are being tried out.

Good insight into what went on, along the lines of the Anthology series but a bit more focused on a single work.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Andrew.

Copy ordered can wait!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Well after a few more plays of the vinyl, I'm loving it, just takes getting used to, you've never heard lovely Rita meter maid sound so good.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Bob.

Agree on Rita.

Even on the download it's a standout recording whereas before it was just another "good track". Still waiting for the vinyl.

Come on postie.......

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

Bigman80 Guest

I burned a copy of the HD FLAC files on to CD.

I have to say i am flabbergasted! I had goosebumps all the way through "shes leaving home"

The whole album had an intimacy ive never experienced that with a Beatles album before. The only down side is, i don't think it flows as well as the previous versions but that may be because it sounds so spacious and different. all i know is there will be a copy of the vinyl on its way to my house soon!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Bob.

My Sgt Pepper vinyl arrived yesterday. Does it meet the criteria I was looking for when I kicked this off?

1. Quality of the vinyl and how clean / quiet it is?

The vinyl shimmers and is perfectly clean and flat. No suggestion of anything other than careful handling and packaging and it's totally and utterly background silent. No groove noise or rubbing anywhere - seems frictionless.

2. Is it truly re-mixed and if so does it add anything positive?

Well, I now know that the answer to this is yes, a total remix and half speed remaster - but that doesn't tell the story because as we all know some remasters are just horrendous.

This has been done with an empathy towards the original and truly brings out all of the "I wish they could have done that a bit better" or "Why can't those bass lines be a bit more distinct" moments. The mellifluous clarinet that drifts along in the background of "When I'm Sixty-Four" is a sweet little melody in it's own right that can now be more easily picked out - or just left to make it's contribution to the whole. It's so well done that you can choose where to focus.

There isn't a single track on this new version that fails to add another level of detail or awareness. I can't really single any track out - I'd just be repeating the listing.

3. SQ in terms of dynamic range and sound-stage?

Oh yes! Sound is clean, distinct, full of energy yet quietly reflective where it needs to be and doesn't get "shouty" when you turn the wick up. "A Day in the Life" completely fills the room as ever but now has a different level of presence, a feeling of greater inclusion with what's going on.

4. What's the second disc like? Worth the £35 for this alone perhaps?

This is a premium priced album and I don't know how many other titles could get away with it at this price. I doubt it will appeal to anyone other than true devotees of the original but the inclusion of the second disc may just raise the curiosity of those on the fringe of interest. It's not just there to make up the weight - it's a useful, quality entity in it's own right, just for the insight into The Beatles and their song writing at that moment in time.

Worth every single hard earned penny.

(That's what I think, anyway)

I'm Josie.

Ordered mine from the official beatles website... No longer in stocking and they won't reply to my emails... Ffs.. What a mess.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast