+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [VINYL] 2017

I'm Bob.

Default Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [VINYL] 2017

I think I have about 5 vinyl copies of Sgt. Pepper, from the original bought back in the day (still playable but now wrecked) to the 2012 and 2014 remaster / reissues with a couple in between (all well played but mint).

Simple question: for those that have it, or have heard it, what's the 2017 version like? In no order, I'm interested in:-

1. Quality of the vinyl and how clean / quiet it is?
    2. Is it truly re-mixed and if so does it add anything positive?
    3. SQ in terms of dynamic range and sound-stage?
    4. What's the second disc like? Worth the £35 for this alone perhaps?

I'm not desperate for another copy of Sgt. Pepper's in my rack, but having lived with this music for 50 years I find it's an album I keep going back to and have always thought there was a bit more of Sgt. Pepper trying to get out.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Grant.

its deffo a remix. Much more both speakers, which is ideal for headphones as the old one can come more from one often. Its a bit wider too. Its on my wish list. second side is interesting too.
    Ive only listened via spotify tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I bought the CD set on Friday, and I'm bowled over with it.
    If the original stereo mix had been as good as this, then there wouldn't have been all the mono/stereo controversy over the years.

Giles Martin properly did his homework, and very successfully managed to incorporate the finer details evident in the mono mix, but not there in the original stereo mix.
    The additional material disc is a fascinating insight to the recording sessions.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Charlie.

The original stereo mix still sounds great on 15 IPS tape

I'm Shaun.

Oh wow, I may have to buy this on vinyl.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    The original stereo mix still sounds great on 15 IPS tape

I doubt I have enough marketable body parts left to be able to afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    its deffo a remix. Much more both speakers, which is ideal for headphones as the old one can come more from one often. Its a bit wider too. Its on my wish list. second side is interesting too.
    Ive only listened via spotify tho
    Is the second disc all music..?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I bought the CD set on Friday, and I'm bowled over with it.
    If the original stereo mix had been as good as this, then there wouldn't have been all the mono/stereo controversy over the years.

Giles Martin properly did his homework, and very successfully managed to incorporate the finer details evident in the mono mix, but not there in the original stereo mix.
    The additional material disc is a fascinating insight to the recording sessions.
    This is all sounding promising then. I think Martin the younger obviously paid attention when his dad was working and has fortunately got the hang of things. The only bit of work I can't forgive him for is "Gnik nus" off the Love album.

I've listened to the Pepper's promo video on Amazon and it does sound pretty good, but there's no telling what's been done to that.

I guess I'll just have to have a punt and see. Here we go again..................
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I bought the vinyl version yesterday, one word of caution regarding the CD version,it appears to have been mastered quite loud with compression.

The vinyl is of excellent quality, quiet and flat, as to how it sounds? Well I've only listened once but the overall stereo balance is far better with some of the effects from the mono version like she's leaving home at the correct speed and so on.

But my initial impression is that the mix sounds overblown especially in the bass which sounds quite wrong to me? I have the recent stereo and mono vinyl to compare, I must say though that the extra disc with the outtakes are great.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Geoff.

I heard Giles being interviewed on Radio 2 and they played a couple of tracks. Bizarrely, they thought it would be a good idea to have a bit of interview inbetween Sgt Peppers... and A Little Help From My Friends, rather than just playing them together then asking the questions - a move that also seemed to irk GM.

The drums are much 'more', as is the bass. That album always sounded quite thin and top end heavy to me, an impression probably somewhat left in my mind by my introduction to it - 80s DMM pressing on a cheap-as-chips, plastic turntable. This remix seems to rectify that; altho it still feels 'wrong' to me, somehow, to have done it. Definitely worth a purchase however.

Once again, tho, this remix and the discussion of the album has led to reviewers saying how Within Without You should've been left off the album. Nonsense! I love that song and I think it's the best sounding track on there.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the LP is half speed mastered by Miles Showell.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Bigman80 Guest

Funny you should say that. I found the recent stereo remasters to be Bass heavy and not just compared to other Beatles LP's but to all my LPs. I like it though but it does have a bass heavy mix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast