+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [VINYL] 2017

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Well the original first pressings were cut bass light to play on the very basic dansette and other record players around in 1967, maybe this is how the recording actually sounds full bandwidth?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Well the original first pressings were cut bass light to play on the very basic dansette and other record players around in 1967, maybe this is how the recording actually sounds full bandwidth?
    Thats a good point well made. Bravo Sir!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Bob.

This is exactly what I was referring to when I said "............have always thought there was a bit more of Sgt. Pepper trying to get out."

There are some great (and simple) bass lines on many of the tracks - Lucy in the Sky especially, but they're too far back in the mix and a bit too muted to do the song full justice. I hope this remix sorts it out.

I've just ordered a vinyl copy - my expectations are high.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    This is exactly what I was referring to when I said "............have always thought there was a bit more of Sgt. Pepper trying to get out."

There are some great (and simple) bass lines on many of the tracks - Lucy in the Sky especially, but they're too far back in the mix and a bit too muted to do the song full justice. I hope this remix sorts it out.

I've just ordered a vinyl copy - my expectations are high.
    The quality of the vinyl is superb, listening via my headphones reveals a far superior and coherent mix, no hard panning of vocals and it is more like the mono mix.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Shaun.

Just been into town and bought it from HMV. Thirty four quid, not bad eh...?

I'm Shaun.

OK, just played disc 1 as in the original album and I am staggered. The background silence is truly wonderful and the sheer quality amazing. The quality of that Cello and the Violins on 'She's Leaving Home' almost had me in tears. This is the first time I have heard this album in what must be thirty years and Christ what a rediscovery. I am currently reliving all of those memories from my childhood. Gorgeous reissue.

Bigman80 Guest

Looks like im about yo buy my
    4th copy of this album.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

I bought the vinyl version yesterday, one word of caution regarding the CD version,it appears to have been mastered quite loud with compression.

The vinyl is of excellent quality, quiet and flat, as to how it sounds? Well I've only listened once but the overall stereo balance is far better with some of the effects from the mono version like she's leaving home at the correct speed and so on.

But my initial impression is that the mix sounds overblown especially in the bass which sounds quite wrong to me? I have the recent stereo and mono vinyl to compare, I must say though that the extra disc with the outtakes are great.
    Haven't purchased the new release yet (we had a big record fair in my neighbourhood yesterday, so I blew all my vinyl budget shopping for rarities and good pressings).

To me, a good copy of stereo Sgt. Pepper's (not remastered, just vanilla) is about as perfect as you can get. Mind you, I never listen to music on headphones, so that may explain why I'm a bit confused when I hear people complaining about the stereo mix of Pepper. My old copy sounds crisp, lively, instruments and voices are leaping out of speakers and jumping at me. Compared to vinyl, Pepper on CD sounds flat and pedantic. I haven't noticed that the bass on the stereo vinyl copy sounds receded, or weak in any way.

But I'm mighty intrigued about the 50th anniversary remix on vinyl. I'll be traveling on vacation next month, which is going to cost me an arm and a leg, so I guess my encounter with the new, better and shinier Pepper will have to wait. Ah, to relive the summer of love!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Shaun.

LOL... 1967, I was eight years old and we had a Dansette Tempo. Wonderful times listening to the Beatles, the Yardbirds, the Kinks and all of those classics; oh yeah, and Tom Jones.

I'm Grant.

Had a few listens to it it's very good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast