+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: wanted...cheap and decent fully functioning pioneer pd-s cd player

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by msg1979 View Post
    Look at the 9700, its the 901 without the legato link. Maybe it has the "magic"?

The sound in 901 is good though
    i like the sound of the legato link,so would be quite happy with 901,but the 9700 will be just as good i would of thought although ive never heard one,same machine pretty much except for the filter thing...would of thought the 9700 would be a more consistent sound from cd to cd as well if its a overall sound you like,the old legatos can be alittle more unpredictable sound wise from cd to cd...then again are not cds like that in there quality and sound anyway

regards
    paul

I'm Geoff.

The Legato Link gets some criticism, but I like its effect.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

hi aaron
    thanks for that....always wondered what tom got up to in one of these
    regards
    paul

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Legato Link gets some criticism, but I like its effect.
    everything gets some criticism...its what poison works for you and makes you happy.......and im with you geoff,funny thing is i wasn't so impressed with them back in the day,strange how tastes change,or maybe i have a better system today to hear there worth better.

I'm Lawrence.

So are the green boards the precision upgrades ie new clock and second transformer?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    So are the green boards the precision upgrades ie new clock and second transformer?
    hi lawrence
    yes you are correct,along with a substitute opamp. quality of photos are not great to see what else his done....done a good job of mating the clock board direct to the standard clock position.

I'm Taz.

This might be of interest to you Paul http://www.jackenhack.com/mods-and-u...uality-part-1/

I'm Alan.

It looks like Tom might have implemented Grahams frequency divider mod too, a second clock that runs the Pioneer display circuits causes a measurable problem in these players, not well known, there's a pair of wires running that way. I did this on my 703 but I have lost about a million brain cells since then so I dont remember much, I cant remember if the second crystal was on the display pcb or if it was in the position where those cables run too, I wouldn't buy another one of these players if it hasnt been done, just couldn't sleep. LOL
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    It looks like Tom might have implemented Grahams frequency divider mod too, a second clock that runs the Pioneer display circuits causes a measurable problem in these players, not well known, there's a pair of wires running that way. I did this on my 703 but I have lost about a million brain cells since then so I dont remember much, I cant remember if the second crystal was on the display pcb or if it was in the position where those cables run too, I wouldn't buy another one of these players if it hasnt been done, just couldn't sleep. LOL
    lol,wondered when you would chime in.
    the picture quality isnt good enough to see if that mod has been done....i always remember you sleeping fine and snoring your head off whatever was happening dude

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    This might be of interest to you Paul http://www.jackenhack.com/mods-and-u...uality-part-1/
    hi taz,thanks for the link,all pretty standard mods,shame he never seemed to take it further or update the pages....those gd clocks are great and well made by the way...cheap to,dont know if you can still get them.
    regards
    paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast