+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nicely modded Lenco with AO’d Ortofon tonearm, layered plinth and stacked platter

montesquieu Guest

Default Nicely modded Lenco with AO’d Ortofon tonearm, layered plinth and stacked platter

NOW SOLD

OK I have some guests coming in the next few weks and I’m looking round and realising I have far too much kit to bring into my study while they inhabit the spare room. So some rationalisation is in order.

First off is this really lovely sounding Lenco GL-75. This project got started a couple of years go when I acquired a really nicely looked after motor unit complete with Lenco plinth and arm - came from a Lenco forum bloke that had done all the necessary maintenance to the bearing and idler mechanism.

I removed the motor unit/top plate from the plinth, and also removed the arm, and fitted it in a rather nice shiny layered plywood/spray painted black plinth (got off eBay) - this has the odd mark but being black it still looks fantastic from any angle. I had planned to paint the motor unit either to match or to contrast, but I’ve been too busy listening to it in the study to find the time, and I'm not very good at colour schemes anyway so I'll leave that to the next owner.

It’s fitted with a superb Ortofon AS-212 tonearm that has had the full Audio Origami treatment: full Cardas copper rewire (plus J7’s top quality external cable which uses silver-plated OFC), bearing fettle, and a really useful additional ring on the counterweight that allows it to be used with SPU-weight cartridges of 32g. The original Ortofon headshell is present and I’m including a really nice, original Shure Me75ED cartridge with original (barely worn) Shure stylus, this is worth a wee bit of on its own. This is by that the most expensive bit of the project (!).

Also fitted is a stacked platter - a second platter on top the original complete with spindle extension and also a custom adapter (again from the fabulous Lenco forum) that both positions the arm at the correct distance in the wider Lenco arm collar, and also enables it to sit higher for use with stacked platters.

It sounds fantastic - rock solid, dead quiet and the arm is well capable of runing high-end cartridges such as some of the top-end SPUs I've used on it. I wasn’t a believer in stacked plinths but once I got the collar extension (fairly recently) I had to try it and it undoubtedly lifts the performance to another level.

I’m selling this for quite a bit less than it cost me to acquire all the bits and have the work done - price is £550 collected from the Bracknell area, potentially could meet up somewhere in the M3/M4/M25/A34 sort of area.

Last edited by montesquieu; 01-06-2017 at 22:00.

I'm Adrian.

Knowing Tom this will be a top notch bit of kit. The arm alone is highly desirable. Bargain.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Neil.

Tom, PM and text sent.

Neil
    Neil.

I'm Neil.

Tom,
    as mentioned in my second PM, I will take this.
    Thanks,
    Neil
    Neil.

montesquieu Guest

Sorry been out all day did see PMs on my phone going into PMs shortly

+ Reply to Thread