+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucking Transformer for Little Dot mk ii

I'm Tony.

Default Bucking Transformer for Little Dot mk ii

Having recently acquired this excellent headphone amp/pre-amp (who's sound I am thoroughly enjoying), I am a little concerned that I should be doing something about the fact that it is 220v currently running on a 240v supply.
    I have seen discussions on here about getting simple bucking transformers to manage the step down but it's all a little out of my comfort zone.
    Can any of you more capable bods point me in the right direction as to where I can get hold of a suitable spec bucking transformer either bought or made for a reasonable price (don't have the readies for anything in three figures )
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Alan.

It sounds sensible that you are considering reducing the voltage. Do the valve heaters look particularly bright to you?

The power consumption is only about 30W so you only need a small bucking transformer, say a 12VA as a minimum size, I may have a suitable one here.
    I'm guessing you want something built up and cased that you can just plug in?

I'm Tony.

That sounds ideal if you can Alan? They don't look particularly bright (or feel particularly hot); I upgraded the Chinese valves to Mullard 8100 and Novosibrisk 6H6pi-N and it's about 20 hours into 'burn-in'. Now that I'm finally getting into the 'magic', I don't want to risk wasting it all for the sake of a step down in voltage. More than happy to cover any costs to yourself, just PM me with any details?
    Tony
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

RothwellAudio Guest

Are you sure you're running on a 240V supply? The UK mains voltage is nominally 230V but the tolerance allowed means it could be less than 220V. I'd measure it before messing about with step down transformers.

I'm Tony.

No, I'm not sure of anything other than fear, doubt and uncertainty imbued by tales of Chinese kit not suitably localised. How would I go about measuring the supply I am on?
    Tony

I'm Grant.

My supply varies a bit but 247 is not uncommon. I got a power inspired regenerator which all my gear goes through. it outputs 230v steady. not the cheapest option but a good one. Ive used a bucking tx before and it does work. you would need a 24v tx most likely.. you will get one from RS
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Sounds like I need to check out what's actually happening on my supply before going any further then. I've just got hold of the means to do that so will have a look when I get home tonight. :-)

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    How would I go about measuring the supply I am on?
    I would measure it by putting the two test probes from a volt meter into the socket holes on the end of an IEC mains cable. I would recommend you do the same if I wasn't afraid of all the cries of " arghhhhh.... you can't do that, you'll kill yourself.....etc etc".

I'm Grant.

lol. should be safe as long as your fingers dont stray onto metal. if in doubt you can buy plug in meters now i believe
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

I've borrowed an installation tester from a colleague in work (CNC Maintenance Engineer). That should do the trick for a numpty like me! :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast