+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Phantoms win it

I'm Steve.

Default The Phantoms win it

Spent a good few hours comparing the Devialet Phantoms against Kef LS50 wireless. The Kefs are more traditional but sound rather "shut in" and even more so against the Phantoms. Then the bass on the Phantoms. Wow, unbelievable. Seeing as I'm used to plenty of bass from my OB1's I was still impressed.
    The vocals on the Phantoms seemed so effortless too.
    So, you can guess what I brought home with me. They are still so different to my old sound but I think over time, I will be much happier with them and how easy it is to manage my music.
    The only thing I need to avoid is tweaking power cables and Ethernet cables and spend more time listening and enjoying.

I'm Keith.

You know that Devialet won't repair them out of warranty?
    Keith
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Steve.

That's a worry. Why would they not repair? Surely not a business model that supports future sales or customer datisfaction

I'm Martin.

Thought it might be a more difficult decision for you than it turned out to be Anyway, enjoy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    You know that Devialet won't repair them out of warranty?
    Keith
    That sounds like poor customer service. How long is the warranty for?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    That sounds like poor customer service. How long is the warranty for?
    2 years, or 5 if you register on line.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    2 years, or 5 if you register on line.
    Planned obsolescence no doubt.

Maybe the idea being that if you can afford Devialet gear in the first place, you have the money to buy the superseding model or move up the range after a year or two, rendering the older product of no consequence from their point of view. I'd not be surprised if there's an attractive trade in option to encourage this.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Or maybe the odds are they will last at least ten years, as with most properly built electronic gadgets?

Also just because Devaliet will not fix them out of warranty doesn't mean they cant be repaired by someone. You see it quite often that people will fret about this when they consider buying old kit made by a company that no longer exists. The odd idea that only the company who made something will be able to fix it if it goes wrong.
    Last edited by Macca; 29-05-2017 at 13:01.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Hugo.

Maybe the Phantoms' design is just so complicated and densely packaged that, if something goes awry, repairs are simply uneconomical. That's not to say that Devialet won't take a very charitable view of failures outside the warranty period - it's surely in their interests to be very understanding of such occurrences if they wish to preserve the brand's reputation. Is there any evidence of Devialet failing to give good customer service?

I don't have any relationship with Devialet, nor am I ever likely to, but it seems to me that buying Devialet represents less of a risk than buying from any number of new pop-up brands that most likely will not survive long enough to give any customer service at all.

I'm Gareth.

Taken from another forum:

"The Phantom themselves are not repairable. Due to the manufacturing process which seals the Phantom with one ton of pressure we are unable to take the Phantom apart, and put it together again and still deliver an amazing quality of sound. At this time you would be required to purchase a new Phantom unless the previous Phantom is subscribed to the Devialetcare."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast