+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIchell Focus One

I'm Simon.

Default MIchell Focus One

As the proud owner of one of these now (thanks Richie) but being a complete novice can someone recommend a reasonably priced cartridge I should be looking for was going to fit an audio technica at95 as have one on my other turntable.

I do have in a box of bits a few old cartridges could I look at using one of these ( will need to replace stylus)
    Empire 888SE
    Shure M75 EJ T2
    Shure M75 MB T2
    Stanton 681 EEE

treat me gently as don't have a clue .

Cheers
    Simon

I'm Geoff.

Nice turntable. Tell us what tonearm is fitted and what your budget is.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Simon.

Yes that might help , it's a Linn Basik LVV
    Budget wise doesn't help but reasonable below 100 .
    Cheers
    Simon

I'm Geoff.

If you can stretch the budget a bit Simon, a Denon DL-110 should work nicely in the LV-V. The DL-110 is a high output moving coil cartridge and will work into an MM input. It also sounds pretty nice and musical.

You could put a 'wanted' listing in Private Exhibitions if anybody has a decent one for sale, that might save you a bob or two. There's probably a few about with members.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Simon.

Hi Geoff
    Thanks for the advice much appreciated,will start searching as you say second hand might be the way to go , don't know if the old cartridges I have are worth anything but will go towards a new cartridge.
    Cheers
    Simon

I'm Mike.

What about Grants AT95 shibata?

I'm Oliver.

+1 for Grant's AT95. It'll do a great job on that TT. Dont be put off by thinking "100 for a AT95!!" The stylus are about that on its own without the body.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you can stretch the budget a bit Simon, a Denon DL-110 should work nicely in the LV-V. The DL-110 is a high output moving coil cartridge and will work into an MM input. It also sounds pretty nice and musical.

You could put a 'wanted' listing in Private Exhibitions if anybody has a decent one for sale, that might save you a bob or two. There's probably a few about with members.
    +1
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Russell.

I had a Grado that was a step up from my stock Ortofon OM20, don't quote me in that, it was stock on my old Project 'table, so I got a Grado Gold and was very pleased. The Silver and Gold are the exact same cart. but the gold is supposed to be the top 5% of the run. But they sell more Gold carts than Silver? How is that possible? So I suggest they are the same, one just cost twice as much.
    The DL-110 is also a nice choice, maybe better than the Grado in the treble, while the Grado is better in the lower registers. IMHO of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Charlie.

If you can find a decent stylus for the Stanton 681 EEE, then you'll enjoy it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast