+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who would build me a Geddon clone ?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    as i keep having to explain to people i dont understand electronics,i thought as there are so many experts on the web id be swamped with help and advice,after posting on 4 forums it seems i was wrong,one guy on pfm even asked me what i thought i should pay him!

your comment about,or should i say no comment remark about the norton and geddon being daft kinda put me off.

i was just looking for a better psu option than currenty whats fitted to my rock turntable,no one has given me any options or prices to date.

perhaps i shouldn't bother?
    What's the current psu option? In the case of the geddon well although it somewhat reduces the voltage for less vibration etc it is IMHO sheer lunacy to use a transformer literally capable of powering a hundred TT's just to power one....

The only solution I can offer at present is to build you a "Nigel's speed controller" as I did for "Rexton" of this parish. As you say you can build/supply casework for it (and I'm guessing do the drilling, cutting filing etc) this would save a whole lot of money for you...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm jamie.

im leaning towards having a go myself and making one of these, http://norton-tech.co.uk/AirPower/APKit.htm

whats confusing me is the ratings for both transformers,i get that ones 80 and ones 60 but i gather thats the secondary output,what primary rating should i get,would one kind soul like to find the 2 i need and post the links please?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

well i should have done this first off but it seems the elite rock uses a different motor to the lp12,heres what i found under the plinth,
    with that in mind all bets are off

Last edited by karma67; 31-05-2017 at 16:08.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Can't see the picture.
    Account Deleted

I'm Neil.

A little left-field, but would a mains regenerator, like a Power Inspired AG500, work as a sine wave PSU? Seems it would be a clean and accurate way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Deleted.

Default who would build me a Geddon clone ?

Oh, I can see the pic via a different browser. Although that isn't the actual motor Linn use it is still a 110V 50Hz synchronous design and will work with supplieslike the Linn Valhalla etc.

However, the Norton is, in an electrical sense, a very simple design and if should be quite simple to get working. The Armageddon is an even simpler design.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 31-05-2017 at 17:06.
    Account Deleted

I'm Alex.

There is another nice mod for that motor that helps reduce vibration even further. It s a brass bearing housing with a hardened steel ball that lifts the end of the motor shaft off the thrust bearing at the bottom of the motor case. You just add a drop of oil and glue it onto the nylon nub sticking out of the motor. you tweak the height of the motor shaft by adjusting a grub screw. I found that it reduced motor vibration felt through the case A LOT. I also added some dynamat strips to the motor casing, and that was also very effective.

I got mine from ebay, but you can still get them from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SRM-TECH-Tu.../dp/B00J30RWM2

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12