+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.1 with a stereo power amp.

I'm Rich.

Default 2.1 with a stereo power amp.

Hello Av'ers,

I must apologise if this is a bit of a boring/stupid question.

I have a 2 channel power amp that I would like to put to use in my other half's TV room, I have a passive Sony Sub and 2 small front channel speakers leftover from an old set up, all three have spring clip terminals. Is there anyway of using the sub and the 2 speakers with just the 2 channels of the power amp?

Cheers

Rich.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Grant.

they will be high inputs so should be ok ... if it has in and out on sub then its put before the speakers. it should have an adjuster to set the point of the slope you want. it shouldnt affect the impedence of the amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

What you need is a sub with some filtering built in. If it has only 2 clips for the input then you need an external filter to send only the low bass to the sub.
    Post a picture of the back of the sub if it has more connections.

I'm Rich.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

From memory the sub is very basic and only has a single input, it came from a 5.1 set up with an amp that had separate outs for everything.

I think it might be better to sell the amp (Linn LK140) and buy something more suitable.

Cheers

Rich.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

I've just had a quick look on eBay and there are some worryingly cheap T amps that seem to be 2.1. Has anybody has any experience of these? I'm put off them simply because they seem too cheap to be worth buying.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Geoff.

I have a couple. They work and sound better than you'd expect. At the price, why worry, just try one.

I buy those without power supplies and poke around the charity shops for wall warts to power them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a couple. They work and sound better than you'd expect. At the price, why worry, just try one.

I buy those without power supplies and poke around the charity shops for wall warts to power them.
    Sound advice, Thanks.

I ordered one with power supply for £20.

It's funny how easy it is to get fooled into thinking that good must be expensive.

Cheers

Rich.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

Hello again,

OK, so I've got my 2.1 mini amp on the go, using the optical out of the Samsung virgin TiVo box with a little Fiio DAC in between. The little high end stereo speakers sound nice and clear, but the bass speaker is a bit more distorted than I would have liked. I shall see if I can get pics of the speakers and amps I'm using, but is it likely this is as good as it's going to get? Or would picking up a better quality sub woofer improve things?

Cheers

Rich.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Grant.

If your up on a bit of extra spending the Q Acoustic actives are super little speakers and have a sub out socket, plus line in and optical in. with a sub on and adjusted they sound fantastic. the red or white being on half price offer, or were....
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If your up on a bit of extra spending the Q Acoustic actives are super little speakers and have a sub out socket, plus line in and optical in. with a sub on and adjusted they sound fantastic. the red or white being on half price offer, or were....
    I probably should have started with a package like that, but as I have bought the Fiio and the cheap amp I feel like I'm halfway down the path.

Mind you having said that a lack of remote is a major PITA.

I see Q acoustics do a sub for £120, I may have to have a think about this.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast