+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive pre recommendations & advice on pots, etc

I'm Simon.

Default Passive pre recommendations & advice on pots, etc

So I've been running a Tisbury passive (mk2) for a few weeks now and I really like it. Straight away I heard no compromise in sound, dynamics still there and no roll-off or lack of bass I could hear. I swapped back in my Arcam C31 active the other day and to my surprise it held it's own really well. To be honest I don't think I could hear a clear difference between them. I did swap back and forth a few times and both gave what I heard to be identical sound quality (any differences I thought I could hear I think was just my mind trying to convince me of something not there possibly). Maybe my system isn't revealing enough, I don't know.

I'm thinking although after this I should probably stick to the active pre, I like the idea of using a passive (1 less plug, more direct path, can route the AV system through it without needing to power up another amp). Needs to have 2 sets of outputs (for power amps and headphone amp) and at least 3 inputs.

I've been doing a bit of research into passives and I'm not sure how to proceed if I want to upgrade. For example, I would ideally like a remote option (which I can power using my HDplex LPS) but I've read that it's better to go without that as the extra electronics can potentially compromise the sound. Same with what pot to use, some say stepped is best but then what type (shunt, ladder)? What about p2p wiring vs pcb?

What about pot impedance? The Tisbury is supposedly 10kohm which into my 22kohm amps seems to work a treat so ideally want something similar. Also, not sure it's a good idea to have a type of pot which varies resistance as the dial is turned. From what I've read something like a stepped ladder type keeps the resistance the same throughout.

Budget, probably around £500 but may be willing to go higher for something worth it

Some I've considered/looked at:

Schiit Saga - looks good, has remote, but don't like the idea that the tube buffer is always active/on, even when only in pure passive mode
    Khozmo - looks good, has remote, don't like the look of the switch/pot knobs and apparently they're not well regarded (Lorlin?)
    Hattor - same as above
    NVA P50 - Not sure I like the acrylic look, no remote but apparently for SQ reasons
    Rotel Michi (seen in classifieds from Josie) - Looks good but no remote and seems to be all pcb - not sure what pot it uses
    Icon Audio - ticks many boxes but not sure what pot it uses.

Maybe I'm being too fussy haha. Absolute main priority is SQ but I would want a decent looking case and nice knobs, etc, even if it costs a little more for it.

I'm Adrian.

Depending on your budget I recommend The Truth - it takes the last veil that all pots, relays etc have out of the equation.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Depending on your budget I recommend The Truth - it takes the last veil that all pots, relays etc have out of the equation.
    There have been numerous discussions here about LDR devices. Some in favour, some not. I like the idea!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

The Truth doesn't operate as an LDR (but I'm not technical and not getting into that) The OP asked for suggestions and I offered one. There has also been numerous discussions about conventional pots.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Simon.

The Truth sounds interesting from what I've just looked up.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    The OP is looking for a passive pre-amp. The Truth is an active pre-amp.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There have been numerous discussions here about LDR devices. Some in favour, some not. I like the idea!
    I thing may have misread you!

For the OP. I also started out with the Tisbury. It's ok.
    I then went the top of the line Alps 500quid job. I then went to Dave slaglesb autoformers after listening to S&B. Each time there was greater clarity. The Slagles are absolutely superb. I then took a punt on the Truth - endgame. It has it's faults but it beats all else in my opinion in my system.

The Slagles are relatively cheap - it depends on your budget.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

RothwellAudio Guest

It sounds to me that the Tisbury has everything you want except remote control. Apart from remote control, what are you looking for in the "upgrade"? It's perfectly possible to make passives much more expensive than the Tisbury but I'm not convinced there's much advantage to it. Point-to-point wiring for example can be simply a labour-intensive (and therefore expensive) waste of time imho.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The OP is looking for a passive pre-amp. The Truth is an active pre-amp.
    Yes it plugs into the wall - but it adds no gain - the buffers require power but the signal isn't boosted in any way.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Martin.

Most of them are available mail order so you can try and send back if you don't rate them. The NVA have 3 sets of outputs which is always handy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast