Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Which country has the best hi fi industry in the world

I'm Simon.

This thread is gold...

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    [/B]

Naim names then or was it Maplins
    Funnily enough when I asked who this potential employer was I was told that it was confidential... a moment later they said I would need to move to the Salisbury area... "so it's Naim then?" says I... "erm... ah.. well.. erm.. yes" came the reply
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    This thread is gold...
    It's got to be a wind up I'm starting to think....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They will re-design it to make it cheaper to build, or because an oem part gets discontinued. It isn't often the Mk2 is better than the original, it is often worse. There's no advantage to them to improve it, if you want a better amp they will sell you the next one up in the range. That leads us to the ultimate money-maker: The brand's upgrade path.
    Of course there is an advantage to improve. They operate in a competitive market, if another brand comes along and beats them on sq at the price, they have to get there stuff together to sell the item at the same price.

They sell the one up the range because people demand it, it's what's driving them making it, otherwise why bother. Can you think of any consumer products that don't allow you to upgrade in one form or another, especially in tv or hi fi. From one product to another.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    This thread is gold...
    You're not wrong. This is a very polite forum.

I'm Simon.

Maybe you could tempt me to buy one of yours instead?

I'm Geoff.

Thought that for a while.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    Of course there is an advantage to improve. They operate in a competitive market, if another brand comes along and beats them on sq at the price, they have to get there stuff together to sell the item at the same price.

They sell the one up the range because people demand it, it's what's driving them making it, otherwise why bother. Can you think of any consumer products that don't allow you to upgrade in one form or another, especially in tv or hi fi. From one product to another.
    And who say it beats them at the price? The hi-fi press? They are on the inside of the industry looking out. They may not be corrupt like some claim but they are still influenced by the personal relationships they inevitably develop in the course of the job.

Hi-fi is a luxury goods market, in luxury goods you have to create demand for your product, it doesn't come along by itself unless you are the only game in town. And in the hi-fi business there are thousands of games in town.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

I'm more a 'stumbling round blindly, hoping for the best' type than a 'relentless, unending search for perfection' type, but one interesting point arising from this thread is 'how do you judge which system is best, regardless of price?' You'd need to test 'blind', ie without knowing what you were listening to, or how much it cost, for it to be a fair test, and yet blind testing seems to be anathema to many on the subjectivist side of the fence.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    blind testing seems to be anathema to many on the subjectivist side of the fence.
    Whilst I would be happy to participate in 'blind testing', I find it unnecessary in making choices of equipment. My ears tell me the differences in sound produced by items of equipment without my needing to be blinded to use my faculties.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast