+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Roger Waters album

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Floyd were only great when Waters and Gilmour worked together, anything that was written after Waters left was for me very dull,boring and disappointing. Ok Gilmour has a great guitar sound and his solos are always worth a listen but in the context of his version of Floyd I found the music greatly lacking in direction and lyrical content, not too mention good composition.

Waters may be a tortured soul but he has always produced interesting stuff outside Floyd and knows how to turn a good lyric. Some of the music on his new album is very good indeed especially the first tracks 1-5 and the final 3 tracks. The orchestral arrangements and some of the phrasing around a number of tracks is beautiful.

I particularly like some of the classic Floyd sounds hinted at sprinkled throughout the album but don't like the trademark sound effects which too me seem unecessary and cliched.

What the album is crying out for is a shot of Gilmours guitar here and there to lift it, pity these two could not work together one more time.
    A pretty fair view I would say.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Floyd were only great when Waters and Gilmour worked together, anything that was written after Waters left was for me very dull,boring and disappointing. Ok Gilmour has a great guitar sound and his solos are always worth a listen but in the context of his version of Floyd I found the music greatly lacking in direction and lyrical content, not too mention good composition.

Waters may be a tortured soul but he has always produced interesting stuff outside Floyd and knows how to turn a good lyric. Some of the music on his new album is very good indeed especially the first tracks 1-5 and the final 3 tracks. The orchestral arrangements and some of the phrasing around a number of tracks is beautiful.

I particularly like some of the classic Floyd sounds hinted at sprinkled throughout the album but don't like the trademark sound effects which too me seem unecessary and cliched.

What the album is crying out for is a shot of Gilmours guitar here and there to lift it, pity these two could not work together one more time.
    Leonard
    It's a grower. Very much mood dependant I would say. Very Bob Dylan/Leonard Cohen in sentiment.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Leonard
    It's a grower. Very much mood dependant I would say. Very Bob Dylan/Leonard Cohen in sentiment.
    Funny my partner heard a bit last night and mentioned Leonard. Miserable but done with excellent production and panache.
    I find the tack " Picture this" the most intriguing.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

I will be listening to it as I very much enjoyed Pros and Cons and Amused To Death. He doesnt always hit a home run with his solo work He also did that Opera which I have yet to listen to.

I loved The Wall and feel its one of the better Floyd albums even though some people hate it. I think it goes deeper than some people can get into it. I like the melancholy slant Roger Waters puts in to his music as I find it interesting and realistic. I didnt think Floyd had much without the input of Roger Waters to be honest.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-07-2017 at 11:23.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12