+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Roger Waters album

I'm James.

Default New Roger Waters album

The new Roger Waters album "is this What we really want" is out next week. Anyone interested?

I have heard the first few tracks off the album and am impressed with both the composition and top notch production. Lots of Floyd elements and usual Roger Waters strong political observations.

He is after all one of the all time great lyricists and rock music composers whose music will always be considered as some of the most significant ever produced during the last 50 years.

This may well be his last album and even though I have not heard it all the early reviews look promising.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

I'll be getting it.

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes, it will have to be done. Or, should I wait twenty years for the vinyl reissue.

I'm James.

Had a good listen last night. Very well produced and some very nice string arrangements. Typical RW so bit depressing but there is some quality material here with some very good moments sprinkled with some of the idiosyncratic Floyd trademarks.

Initial impression is 60% excellent with some great lyrics and well arranged. Not quite up to Amused to death but certainly an essential buy, that's if you like Mr Waters and his world view!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Rich.

Gave it a listen the other day. Typical Rog. Usual fantastic production, I definitely made some connections with Radiohead through Nigel Godrich's production in the way the acoustic guitar is handled particularly. Also moments of it reminded me a lot of WYWH era Floyd but were crying out for a blistering Gilmouresque solo so they felt a bit incomplete.

Overall though yes, I'm happy to add this on vinyl to my collection.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Josie.

Why would it be his last album?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Not a great fan of waters. Floyd, yes. Radio chaos.? Was it?... I seem to remember that was well done.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Why would it be his last album?

His last was 25 years ago so if he worked at that rate next would be finished when he was 98!

I'm Steve.

Thumbs down

Typical RW. Recycled Pink Floyd classics diluted with modern samples. Nothing Waters hasn't done before here. Ironically given Roger Waters differences with the late Richard Wright lots of the keyboard sounds and style reflect Wright's best work. The tortured shouting and strained inflections all too much for me. I much preferred Pink Floyd with Gilmour at the helm as opposed to Waters solo output. That said as Waters albums go this i found very disappointing indeed.
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 07-06-2017 at 20:21.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Typical RW. Recycled Pink Floyd classics diluted with modern samples. Nothing Waters hasn't done before here. Ironically given Roger Waters differences with the late Richard Wright lots of the keyboard sounds and style reflect Wright's best work. The tortured shouting and strained inflections all too much for me. I much preferred Pink Floyd with Gilmour at the helm as opposed to Waters solo output. That said as Waters albums go this i found very disappointing indeed.
    Floyd were only great when Waters and Gilmour worked together, anything that was written after Waters left was for me very dull,boring and disappointing. Ok Gilmour has a great guitar sound and his solos are always worth a listen but in the context of his version of Floyd I found the music greatly lacking in direction and lyrical content, not too mention good composition.

Waters may be a tortured soul but he has always produced interesting stuff outside Floyd and knows how to turn a good lyric. Some of the music on his new album is very good indeed especially the first tracks 1-5 and the final 3 tracks. The orchestral arrangements and some of the phrasing around a number of tracks is beautiful.

I particularly like some of the classic Floyd sounds hinted at sprinkled throughout the album but don't like the trademark sound effects which too me seem unecessary and cliched.

What the album is crying out for is a shot of Gilmours guitar here and there to lift it, pity these two could not work together one more time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast