+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mills MRA12 or Mundorf M-Resist Supreme?

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I find the Duelunds reveal more, clarity and delicacy.

They come in two types but the cheaper types (not cast) are perfectly fine. Cast types are for the connoisseur I suppose.

Duelunds are the cream of the crop IMO so it depends on your budget. Mills will do for the majority and are much better than conventional resistords so no matter what, Mills are still head and shoulders above say white coffin types.
    for Shame.

I'm Ken.

In crossover applications I have experience of the Jantzen MOX and Mills MRA12 in the same circuits (several).

I consistently found the MOX slightly grainy compared with the Mills but with a neutral tone. The mills are smoother, some think overly so, so not quite as crisp, but much depends on the circuit and ancillary equipment. I find the differences in resistors to be very very small compared with changes to caps in a passive crossover.

At the end of the day you have to use the type which you prefer in your particular set up, unless folks are using exactly the same set up, their results and expectations may differ to yours, but don't expect miracles.

As for resistor burn in, minimal if any, I find any change of parts needs a few hours to settle due to soldering of joints and heating of parts. I've never experienced more than this with resistor swapping.

I'm Moore.

thank you for your reply, ken
    about mox vs mills mra i found the same differences you write.
    i more like the mills

p.s.
    copmpliments for your site:
    - very intresting cap burn-in device
    - semi active project
    - cambridge phono update

I'm Ken.

Thanks, I just keep adding projects to my blog site, quite a few racked up over the last few years.

For crossover use I tend to start with cheaper MOX or even Ceramic resistors for development and switch to Mills once the values are established.
    Even the Mills are getting expensive and you have to watch which tolerance band the supplier is selling. HFC in the UK sell +/- 5%, if I want closer matching I have to get them from Sonic Craft in the USA (+/-1%).

I can recommend their Sonicap Gen 1 (PP film caps) for top end in a passive crossover, cleanest most detailed top end I've heard without spending silly money. Can also work in the mids and bass, but system dependent, so can sound too bright and lean with the wrong match.

I've spent a lot on caps for crossover experimenting over the years, I am using analogue active now, were I spend as much on Op Amps and just taking my first tentative steps into digital active (Hypex DLCP).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234