+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Studer B62

I'm Geoff.

Default HELP!!! Studer B62

So, after months and months of trying to find a reel-to-reel and decide on a model to use as my master recorder in my little bedroom studio, I saw a Studer B62 on eBay, sold as working, and bought it. It was a fair distance away from me and I wanted it to have a complete overhaul so after picking it up I took it straight to a proper service engineer to be serviced/aligned/recapped etc. Due to waiting for the big power caps to arrive from Auz and there being a big power amp order the eng had to fill, he was delayed by a good couple of months in setting to work and I have just received an email saying he is giving up on it. He has completely recapped it, repaired multiple other faults and replaced the bridge rectifier which was blowing the fuses after 4 seconds. He now says the capstan motor is not working at all, after being slow previously, and that it is the board for this that is fault altho all components test fine when cold. He says he's spent too much time on it and doesn't want to chase anymore faults.

Before I had this news I had decided against having reel-to-reel now and have gone back to cassette (I know, I know...) and was going to sell the machine as soon as I got it back, probably for a loss, and put the money towards my son's schooling. Not being able to sell it means I'll lose a huge chunk of £££ and won't be able to save that money for my son.

Can anyone help? Know what the fault might be? Have a spare capstan motor board?! Recommend anyone that'd be capable and happy to finish the job? Help!

Thanking you in advance.

I'm Charlie.

You could PM Lodgesound. Stewart isn't very well at the moment, so it may take a while for a reply. Stewart's friend, Philip, might be able to do the job, but it depends on when he can get time away from his job as a broadcast engineer.

I'm Geoff.

Yes, and I know he's got (or had?) a non-working B62. I did try messaging him but it said his inbox was full so it couldn't be sent...

I'm Jez.

I can fix the capstan motor board for you, if that is indeed what is wrong. I have a B62 myself which I was renovating but had to leave at 90% done due to the capstan motor itself being faulty.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Charlie.

Geoff,
    Stewart in fact has a rare EMT A62 (as opposed to B62). I think he has got it pretty much working now.
    Charlie

I'm Stewart.

Hi Geoff;

I have an almost working A62 (no audio channel 2 and 2 broken operation buttons).

Not prepared to part it out I'm afraid but it does pull tape.

Was going to offer it as open to offers (sensible one hopes) and for collection only.
    Stewart.

I'm Geoff.

Thanks all.

Well he says it's the board. I've asked for clarification, no reply as yet. Should it be the motor, is that it? Or can they be rebuilt?

How would we go about that, Arkless? I see you're in the North East. Not much chance of me getting up there. Would I send you just the board or the whole shebang?

I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and sell it as not working. Take a £600+ hit. Ouch.

I'm Stewart.

I assume the machine was switched on and checked / tested / fully reported on before any replacement parts were fitted?

Seriously if that was not the case then I simply dont understand how it could just "be the board'.

The motor is an AC one and can be checked relatively easily.

Could you perhaps provide the report that was given when the machine was first switched on and all the relevant tests run assuming it did in fact power up?

The A and B 62's are quite different beasts electronically speaking.

My A62 is as original and was switched on before anything was attempted only manifesting the one fault which it now has ie. one audio channel down on replay.
    Stewart.

I'm Geoff.

No. As far as I know he just recapped most of the boards before turning it on and then awaited the caps from Australia/filled his power amp order. This is the email I received...

"Well I have fixed yet more problems with wiring, components and age.
    Finally, after all this - the capstan motor drive has now stopped - (it was running extremely slowly.

I have decided after a total of around 10 days work [i seriously doubt this is true - Geoff] to give in to this monster machine.

It is fully re-capped - it has had a plethora of bearings replaced, power supply problems (now fixed), wiring breaks within the cable looms (now fixed) and a lot of checking, dis-assembley, re-assembly - checking again.

I am not prepared to waste any more of my time on this machine - I do not have a replacement Capstan motor board - although all components cold measure correctly.

If you can come and collect I would be grateful.
    The other a77 machine from your friend has been repaired and setup.

My bill for all the work on the Studer is £200 - far less than it should be.
    The bill for your friend's machine is £155"

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Geefresh View Post
    Thanks all.

Well he says it's the board. I've asked for clarification, no reply as yet. Should it be the motor, is that it? Or can they be rebuilt?

How would we go about that, Arkless? I see you're in the North East. Not much chance of me getting up there. Would I send you just the board or the whole shebang?

I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and sell it as not working. Take a £600+ hit. Ouch.
    In the case of the motor on mine it's "out of true"... not much one can do about that! You would have to send just the board and I can then check it in my machine (it works fine apart from noticeable vibration and slight flutter from the bent motor) and repair it if required. I wouldn't be surprised if I find nothing wrong with the motor board though and it's actually a power supply issue or some such.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast