+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do I get a click when my CD player moves to the next track?

I'm Phil.

Default Why do I get a click when my CD player moves to the next track?

I bought a Marantz CD player used from eBay last year - from memory, it's the CD63 Signature. Only £50, but loads of features/functions and, being a vinyl-head, it was never going to get leathered by me.

The drawer is a tad noisy in operation, but tolerable. However, there is (and has been since I bought it) an audible click when it moves from one track to the next, much like the sound of a scratch on vinyl. What might be causing it, can it be corrected and would that correction be financially viable for what is, as far as I'm concerned, a cheap and cheerful piece of gear?

I'm Alan.

Never heard of that trait before, has it been modified?
    Possibly had the output muting (transistors normally) removed?

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Never heard of that trait before, has it been modified?
    Possibly had the output muting (transistors normally) removed?
    No idea, Alan...it was listed as an unmessed-with unit, as far as I recall.

I've had a butcher's on YouTube about how to cure the squeaking disc tray, so I can have a go at that with ease. The clicking thing might be peculiar to just this player...and I'm not sure I want to fork out a significant amount for something that a) only cost £50 and b) is really an ignorable fault.

It'll do until I can be bothered to replace it.

I'm Stephen.

It's the relay on the output operating.

I was assuming it had a relay muting the output, but it appears to have transistors.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Kipling; 25-05-2017 at 12:37.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    It's the relay on the output operating.

I was assuming it had a relay muting the output, but it appears to have transistors.

Fixable, Stephen? And at a reasonable cost?

I'm Stephen.

Does the sound come from your speakers, or the CD player itself?

If it's coming from the CD player, it must have a relay muting the output, and the sound is just the mechanical sound of the relay operating, which is normal. If it's coming out of the speakers, either the muting transistors have been removed, as Mr F. has said; a mod often done for better sound quality, or the muting isn't working. If it's this, I don't really think it would be worth the cost of having it looked at.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    Does the sound come from your speakers, or the CD player itself?

If it's coming from the CD player, it must have a relay muting the output, and the sound is just the mechanical sound of the relay operating, which is normal. If it's coming out of the speakers, either the muting transistors have been removed, as Mr F. has said; a mod often done for better sound quality, or the muting isn't working. If it's this, I don't really think it would be worth the cost of having it looked at.

It comes through the speakers...as I said, it sounds like the kind of click you'd get from a scratch on vinyl.

Cheers for the info...I'll just put up with it until I get excited enough to replace it.

I'm Stephen.

In all probability, someone has removed the the muting transistors as a mod to improve sound quality.

I'm Neil.

...and if indeed if the muting transistors have been snipped you will be able to see this when the unit is opened up. They are sonic poison in any case.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread