+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 57 going tonto

I'm tony.

Default 57 going tonto

My left 57 is making a sci-fi hissing oscillating noise when left on for a couple of hours. My good lady heard it the other night I shut it down,next morning everything peachy.

Came back from work system on for an hour and a half( on the cans but 57s fired up) thought the lap top was shitting itself!!! Noise back.

Aint the amp methinks as the HPA output is fine.

57 folk, tell me its something simple like a cap please....

I'm Chris.

Hi Tony
    Check the attaching cables for discontinuity. the mains lead needs to be unplugged from wall socket
    and serviced is the most likely cause.

I have a pair of 1961 models still going well.

What serial number are yours ? and what amp are you running
    a Quad 303 is about the best for the 57's as other amps can be
    problematic. Does the hissing noise swap to the right channel
    if cables are swapped.

57's are also wired out of phase to suit the 303,

Cheers / Chris

I'm tony.

Chris,
    Appreciate you are thee other side of the planet and different time zone to me.
    Amp is a tq claymore well suited to the 57s-one speaker has started having a tuntrum!!!!

Hoping the fix is cheapish......

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Do you use them regularly Tony, could just be condensation.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Hi Tony, is it a fairly quiet hissing noise?
    Disconnect the amp feed, is the noise still there? with your ear to the grille can you localise the noise to one of the bass panels?

It is probably electrical arcing on the diaphragm caused by moisture and dust build up, not what you want to hear.
    if you have the mains selector set to 220V a quick fix maybe to reset it to 250V, if it is already on the 250V then don't change it.

I'm gone.

Quad stats.

Hmm, I've had 'em. 57 and 63.
    It could be dust got in and is arcing in a small way.
    Happened annually with my Quad 63 necessitating a trip to Quad at Huntingdon to replace the offending panel(s). Quad seemed to regard it as perfectly usual.

EDIT: oops, just noticed Alan said similar. But my experience backs that up.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Is the noise actually a 'hiss', or does it sound like light rain falling? The reason I ask is that the 'raining' effect is not unusual and is, as others have suggested, due to breakdown of the air between the stators. This breakdown is not sufficiently bad to lead to arcing, which will damage the speakers, but if left unattended could worsen. Are your speakers subject to large changes in temperature? Do they sit in the sun?

It happened to me with one of my 57s, I took it back to Quad for repair. That was some thirty years ago and the problem has not appeared since.

It is possible that the 'hissing' will disappear of its own accord, but if it continues for a few days I would give Quad a call.
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I used to have similar, used to point a small fan heater at the panels, not too close of course. That solved the problem.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm tony.

Thanks everybody.

The statics are used all the time, no temperature or condensation changes.

I will try different speakers just to make sure its not the amp getting hot after a couple of hours.

they have up to this point been silent in operation-my 63s hissed/clicked/crackled so im familiar with the sometimes strange goings on of statics.

I re plugged everything to see if that helps.....hoping its nothing too expensive!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Could just need a clean out.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast