+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not been on here for a while, just upgraded my system so popping in to say hi

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    The Marantz had a clearly 'buzzy' sound, immediately dismissable, but that ATC was clear. We were both surprised because Marantz is suppose to be top end stuff.
    Marantz have stuck their badge on all sorts from proper high end amps to the nastiest, cheapest crap you can imagine (I know, a friend had a CD player and an amp that were some of the worst sounding kit I have ever heard).

It's a shame but there are very few Jap brands that have not gone right down to the bottom of the market at some point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    About 15 years ago after building my first iteration of my ESS speakers a friend brought round a Marantz and a ATC SIA150 amp to try and compare on them.

The Marantz had a clearly 'buzzy' sound, immediately dismissable, but that ATC was clear. We were both surprised because Marantz is suppose to be top end stuff.

I have an irdac, and think it a lovely neat little bit of design with sensible operation and good sound, in a thick alloy box about 6"x4"x1".
    I wouldn't call the sound from my Marantz buzzy, it's very clear but lacks any depth or power when driving the C60's, my much smaller Dali Zensor 1's that I have on my AV system sound pretty nice driven by it but they are much smaller and easier to drive but even they sound much better when being driven by my Onkyo AV amp (in stereo mode).

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Marantz have stuck their badge on all sorts from proper high end amps to the nastiest, cheapest crap you can imagine (I know, a friend had a CD player and an amp that were some of the worst sounding kit I have ever heard).

It's a shame but there are very few Jap brands that have not gone right down to the bottom of the market at some point.
    I think with my Marantz I was just asking more from it than it was designed to do, the Kef's are big old things and seem to like a lot of current (as connecting them to the NAD seems to confirm), the poor Marantz just doesn't seem to be made for that, it's fine with smaller speakers but I guess not amazing. I seem to definitely prefer the "British" sound in my stereo as all of it is now from British manufactures (Arcam, NAD and Kef!).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12