+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not been on here for a while, just upgraded my system so popping in to say hi

I'm Andrew.

Cool Not been on here for a while, just upgraded my system so popping in to say hi

Hi all, not been on here for ages and just checking in.

I've just upgraded my system with a new amp and dac.

My Marantz pm 6010 ki just wasn't cutting it driving my Kef C60's nor was the cheapo Soundblaster usb sound card as a dac soooooo....

I've just bought a NAD C352 (for a great price) and an Arcam rdac and well gosh the old Kef's have come alive, I can't remember the last time I heard something so musical, gave them the old Sultans of Swing test (flac) and I don't remember hearing so many different instruments so clearly defined in the track, bit of Kate Bush's Running Up the Hill wow so atmospheric and even streaming deep house from Soundcloud (1daytrack.com have some cracking laid back mixes) sounds crisp and clear with lovely controlled bass.

I am a very happy boy and I've not had the NAD above 9pm yet on the dial.

So now I feel I need to do it some justice and replace the speaker cable, nothing pricey (I'm in trouble for the NAD as it is, I only disclosed the rDac purchase) , any good value for money recommendations for my set up?

Thanks in advance guys and here's to my renewed interest in listening to music!

I'm Martin.

Hi Andrew

Good speakers the C60, could have bought some quite cheap just after they were discontinued and made a big mistake and passed them up. Think they were about £500 new, 30 years ago, so would be way over a grand now, probably nearer two.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Andrew. Glad you've found some improvements for your system.

As for speaker cable, I personally would keep well away from QED 'Silver Anniversary'. Something from Van Damme or Belden shouldn't disappoint.

You should pop by more often.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

I've always been a chord person and would recommend epic twin as a very good cable indeed. So is clearway. It depends but using the silver coated copper in chord cables can attenuate the higher frequencies in a really nice way, give you more balance.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hi Andrew

Good speakers the C60, could have bought some quite cheap just after they were discontinued and made a big mistake and passed them up. Think they were about £500 new, 30 years ago, so would be way over a grand now, probably nearer two.
    They really have a lovely detailed, room filling sound with the NAD, so clear and controlled, the bass is really tight and controlled (just how I like it).
    These were free, the previous owners of my brothers new house left them, they were in a right state, white (they are black ash), covered in cobwebs and snail trails, caught my sis-in-law about to take them the tip so I nabbed them. Cleaned up lovely, foam on the drivers is perfect and soft, the tweeters sound just as clear and bright as the ones on my nearly new Dali Zensors on my AV setup, I lucked out with them!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hi Andrew. Glad you've found some improvements for your system.

As for speaker cable, I personally would keep well away from QED 'Silver Anniversary'. Something from Van Damme or Belden shouldn't disappoint.

You should pop by more often.
    Yeah it's got a completely different sound now, the poor Marantz really doesn't have the guts to control the Kef's, it sounds great running a pair of Dali Zensor 1's though.

I've been looking at some used QED 'Silver Anniverary' ones on Ebay and saw some VanDamme but had never heard of them so thanks for that, problem is I need about 4 m per cable, I shall keep my eyes peeled. Thanks!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I've always been a chord person and would recommend epic twin as a very good cable indeed. So is clearway. It depends but using the silver coated copper in chord cables can attenuate the higher frequencies in a really nice way, give you more balance.
    I've seen some used Chord stuff on Ebay, all seem a bit pricy and none in the lengths I need (about 4m's each), will keep a look out and for Clearway. Thanks.

I'm Simon.

I'd recommend Van Damme studio blue UP-OFC (go for 2x4mm).Very reasonably priced and can't fault it myself.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I'd recommend Van Damme studio blue UP-OFC (go for 2x4mm).Very reasonably priced and can't fault it myself.
    Thanks, will add it to my Ebay searches!

I'm Dennis.

About 15 years ago after building my first iteration of my ESS speakers a friend brought round a Marantz and a ATC SIA150 amp to try and compare on them.

The Marantz had a clearly 'buzzy' sound, immediately dismissable, but that ATC was clear. We were both surprised because Marantz is suppose to be top end stuff.

I have an irdac, and think it a lovely neat little bit of design with sensible operation and good sound, in a thick alloy box about 6"x4"x1".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast