+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom 27v DC Battery PS?

I'm Tony.

Default Custom 27v DC Battery PS?

Just putting this out there.

I have a 27v DC Trigon Vanguard I Phono stage that I am very fond of but would like to see if it could be improved by a battery PS.

The original BPS are rare and I've never seen one for sale and suspect that price would be silly too.

Is getting a bespoke custom jobby doable and where would I be advised to seek this out from?

I'm looking to lower the noise floor if possible.

Cheers
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Alan.

Will it work OK from a 24V supply?
    Do you have a spec sheet that details the required supply?

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Will it work OK from a 24V supply?
    Do you have a spec sheet that details the required supply?

I have no idea, never tried.

Do you have something in mind?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Alan.

Two 12V sealed lead acid gel batteries in series.

RothwellAudio Guest

27V seems an odd value to choose, but if it was originally designed with battery operation in mind it makes more sense - 3 x 9V = 27V, ie three 9 volt batteries would do it.
    The cheap way to experiment would be to use three duracells (in series) just to see what difference (if any) it makes.

I'm Grant.

seen a car amp that used something like that from a 12v convertor
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Just putting this out there.

I have a 27v DC Trigon Vanguard I Phono stage that I am very fond of but would like to see if it could be improved by a battery PS.

The original BPS are rare and I've never seen one for sale and suspect that price would be silly too.

Is getting a bespoke custom jobby doable and where would I be advised to seek this out from?

Cheers
    "Is getting a bespoke custom jobby doable and where would I be advised to seek this out from?" Yes it's doable and I will take on such bespoke projects. Cost? Around £500 including built in automatic charger etc. Will it lower the noise floor? No. Will it improve the sound? Very, very, unlikely.

You are making a very common mistake, one made by 99% of audiophiles, in assuming the EXTERNAL power supply is really important.... It isn't (not is this case anyway). The PSU regulation circuitry inside the phono stage is infinitely more important.
    If by "noise floor" you mean hiss coming from the unit then a quick look on google shows this to be an op amp based unit, and most of the hiss will be generated by these, especially on MC. I would expect it to be pretty quiet on MM.

I can do some improvements to this and lower the noise but as it is probably worth only maybe £120 ish second hand you may be better advised to look for a better phono stage.... (wait for it.....).... Such as the one I make for £225
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    "Is getting a bespoke custom jobby doable and where would I be advised to seek this out from?" Yes it's doable and I will take on such bespoke projects. Cost? Around £500 including built in automatic charger etc. Will it lower the noise floor? No. Will it improve the sound? Very, very, unlikely.
    Don't think I'll bother then LOL...

I'll try a demo of your loaner shortly, if I may?

I'm Jez.

Don't think I'll bother then LOL...

I'll try a demo of your loaner shortly, if I may?
    Provided you're in no hurry, yep no problem. Being a budget product I don't like to send it out until maybe three or more people are interested in hearing it, that way it's only one lot of packing it up, taking it to the post office and paying £11 postage for insured delivery for me (one person tries it then sends it on to the next etc).

It's just got back to me a week ago from it's last round Britain trip (one of many!).... There is a thread for people wanting to try it in "Analogue Art" section.
    If you google "Arkless 640P" you'll find loads of rave reviews, some on here, some elsewhere and most on pfm forum. Surprisingly, even to me, around 20% of all the ones I've sold have been to people who hadn't even heard it but were buying it on the strength of reviews... None have been even slightly disappointed
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Cost? Around £500 including built in automatic charger etc. Will it lower the noise floor? No. Will it improve the sound? Very, very, unlikely.
    500 quid for a battery power supply from Jez or less than a tenner for three batteries to find out for yourself before committing to anything.
    Do you have a problem with noise? Or is this a theoretical noise reduction exercise? Are you using an MC cartridge or MM?
    I agree with Jez that a battery power supply will do nothing to reduce hiss from the circuit.

+ Reply to Thread