+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do Cables Make A Difference?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    LOL I am also hearing cable differences at the moment, in this case speaker cable.

Not even different brands, just two different lengths of NVA cable. The thicker one gives a bassier sound, puts the mid and top further back, the thinner one brings the mid and top forward compared to the bass, It is a significant difference in presentation, although not in quality (the two should never be confused). I'd expect even a civilian to notice the difference between the two pretty much instantly.

These people like Jez who say there is no technical reason so you are imagining it - if they came round here and I demonstrated the difference I know that they would not sit there and say 'I don't hear it.' because they just couldn't, not with a straight face. I know the first thing they would do is exam the system, examine the cables and then tell me the technical reason. Well why could you just not do that in the first place instead of telling me I was dreaming!
    I think jez in another post said that a cables properties such as gauge, capacitance, inductance etc would affect sound. His argument, I think, was that exotic materials etc in themselves would not affect sound.

I think this was my first disagreement with jez lol.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Deleted.

Default Do Cables Make A Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi James
    You would need to check with NVA, but is unusual to build the characteristics of a zobel network into the lead itself
    and at the same time leave out the zobel to drive the speaker lead in the amp. AFAIK Naim were the only manufacturer to do this.
    Naim are certainly not the only manufactures to eschew the use of a Zobel network on the output of their amps - just off the top of my head there is NVA and Spectral. However, there is no network in the cable itself (at least not with Naim and NVA, you don't need a Zobel network as long as you aren't using high capacitance cables (and the cable presents sufficient inductance). Few speaker cables are high capacitance but there are exceptions (Goertz for example).

------
    Regarding the audible difference between thick and thin speaker cables - I can't speak for Jez but I suspect his line is not that cables cannot make a difference but that as long as they are sufficiently specified they should not make a difference - the point being that the thin speaker cable is insufficiently specified.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Naim are certainly not the only manufactures to eschew the use of a Zobel network on the output of their amps - just off the top of my head there is NVA and Spectral. However, there is no network in the cable itself (at least not with Naim and NVA, you don't need a Zobel network as long as you aren't using high capacitance cables (and the cable presents sufficient inductance). Few speaker cables are high capacitance but there are exceptions (Goertz for example).

------
    Regarding the audible difference between thick and thin speaker cables - I can't speak for Jez but I suspect his line is not that cables cannot make a difference but that as long as they are sufficiently specified they should not make a difference - the point being that the thin speaker cable is insufficiently specified.
    Correct.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

------
    Naim do use a Zobel network but don't use the almost de rigour inductor at the output. Don't ask... it's technical enough to kill the thread and I'd have to slag Naim as part of the answer

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Chris.

------
    The zobel in an amplifier is placed for stability, and is required with any load that is even mildly inductive.
    You risk VHF instability in the output stage without it.

I'm Deleted.

Well, A/ you've effectively done that and B/ I don't know the detail of the Spectral and NVA but the essence of what I wrote is true.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

------
    Right, So the thicker should just be better in every respect. But it isn't. Perfection, in this situation, would be somewhere between the two. So can you be using too thick a gauge as well as too thin?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

Well.... it is, but whether it shows up discrepancies/inadequacies elsewhere is another matter and not it's fault.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Fair point. It could be that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Well, A/ you've effectively done that and B/ I don't know the detail of the Spectral and NVA but the essence of what I wrote is true.
    A/ Yep B/ Many amps these days don't use an inductor at the output... It was fairly de rigour and still is in power amps in general but amongst hi fi amps probably 40% or so these don't use an inductor at the output. Naim use 0.22R resistor, limiting damping factor to 18 for a 4R load, several others also use 0.22R, MF used 4 X 0.47R in parallel in many of their amps...
    A Zobel network (AKA boucherot cell) is generally a good idea and is in parallel with the output rather than in line with it. Its reactance drops with frequency but at 20KHz would typically be equivalent to putting an extra 85R across the amp output. It's work is done at much higher frequencies. A feedback amplifier will usually have an inductive output impedance and it helps to counteract this and so aids stability in the amp itself (ie not oscillating!), as touched upon by Chris above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast