+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do Cables Make A Difference?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    So how can now those cables make the sound better than it was before the preamp and the amp got separated?
    I don't think that it necessarily makes the sound better, it makes the sound different. In my system I use different interconnects for digital and analogue because I use the cables as subtle tone controls.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

May I ask why, Shaun?

I'm intrigued, because I do precisely the opposite, and seek to use those with the least discernible sonic signature, as in my view, interconnect cables should act as far as possible as a neutral conduit for the music signal, thus allowing the partnering equipment and recording to 'speak for itself'

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    So in this example, splitting the integrated amp into preamp and the power amp will always sound worse than it sounded when being integrated under the same 'roof'?
    Hi Alex
    No, because internally in a integrated amp there is economic benefit in running interconnects using
    circuit board tracks, it is just too enticing by some manufacturers, to stoop to put the unit together quickly,
    not necessarily with any audio benefit. If they stopped instead for 12 months, examining how to design
    circuit board tracks properly, away from their usual duty carrying digital and analog ground planes
    and power supply returns and general circuit noise - things might be different.

For instance, if they use wiring it sometimes is ribbon cable with computer type connectors, also not
    necessarily with any audio benefit.

This opens the topic of shielding, and cables that are shielded vs those that are not,
    shielding being a lot more costly.

So viewing cabling or its minimum standards as an economic benefit to manufacturers,
    should alert discovery of at least 2 properties of cables that occur when there is more
    funds available. Namely coaxial and twisted pair construction.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    May I ask why, Shaun?

I'm intrigued, because I do precisely the opposite, and seek to use those with the least discernible sonic signature, as in my view, interconnect cables should act as far as possible as a neutral conduit for the music signal, thus allowing the partnering equipment and recording to 'speak for itself'

Marco.
    Yeah Marco, my CD system is slightly edgy in the top end so I calm it with the interconnects, my vinyl system's sound suits a totally different interconnect so I use a totally different cable for that. It has taken Sue and I four years to get where we are right now starting with listening to various interconnects and then settling on Atlas Hyper cables and QED Reference.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, mate. Whatever works, works. I'm impressed that your good lady is so involved in the process! Nice one

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Marco, Sue is just as involved as I am and specifically loves Brand X, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Metallica

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Marco, Sue is just as involved as I am and specifically loves Brand X, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Metallica
    Imagine someone forming a band "Mahavishnu Metallica"!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Neil.

Just reminded earlier today, how big a difference a cable can make. Once again a not so subtle improvement. Par for the course and I think a deaf man or woman could have heard it.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Cables, in my opinion, have a greater or lesser affect depending on the transparency of a system. If your system is baseline transparent and balanced (not forward, recessed unless that's your thing) then yes swapping cables is audible - to a greater or lesser extent. These changes can be both veiling/tonal in nature and make perfect sense when looking at electrical characteristics.

I have recently gone through an interconnect journey due to rack changes and the inclusion of a SUT. My system is, I believe very transparent and balanced, meaning no part of the range is exaggerated or recessed, at least to my ears.

My regular Cardas were too short and too hard in the mid between SUT and phono stage. Open and extended yes but just not quite right with the SUT.

I then changed all interconnects for some very well known ones on here. I didn't like what they did in my system - they seemed to raise the mid and highs which pushed things forward. But again my rack changed and gave me a reason to change everything again.

For a long long time I've considered VDH Integration but been put off by people's opinion of them. Some say they are the best, others they are dull and boring. But I trusted my instincts and went for it. They are perfect. They are open and extended, deep and controlled, the soundstage is excellent and no part is out of kilter with the rest - in my system.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Just reminded earlier today, how big a difference a cable can make. Once again a not so subtle improvement. Par for the course and I think a deaf man or woman could have heard it.
    LOL I am also hearing cable differences at the moment, in this case speaker cable.

Not even different brands, just two different lengths of NVA cable. The thicker one gives a bassier sound, puts the mid and top further back, the thinner one brings the mid and top forward compared to the bass, It is a significant difference in presentation, although not in quality (the two should never be confused). I'd expect even a civilian to notice the difference between the two pretty much instantly.

These people like Jez who say there is no technical reason so you are imagining it - if they came round here and I demonstrated the difference I know that they would not sit there and say 'I don't hear it.' because they just couldn't, not with a straight face. I know the first thing they would do is exam the system, examine the cables and then tell me the technical reason. Well why could you just not do that in the first place instead of telling me I was dreaming!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast