+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Another major (presumably terrorist) incident. Now in Manchester.

I'm Shaun.

It has been mentioned somewhere in the media that at the time of the explosion there was a strong smell of oil. I reckon if that is true the bastard has used ammonium nitrate and diesel with a detonator which is a hell of a powerful improvised explosive. The IRA used to use it quite a bit.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    It has been mentioned somewhere in the media that at the time of the explosion there was a strong smell of oil. I reckon if that is true the bastard has used ammonium nitrate and diesel with a detonator which is a hell of a powerful improvised explosive. The IRA used to use it quite a bit.
    Ammonium Nitrate & oil or diesel is a slow explosive and is unlikely to have produced the type of detonation described from the amount a backpack would hold. It is more effective in large quatities, as Timothy McVeigh demonstrated in Oklahoma City. I believe the Canary Wharf, Docklands bombing was similar too. I'd expect if H.E.'s were not at hand, gunpowder may have been used, as it is effective in smaller amounts and easily obtained unfortunately.

If you want to know how I know. Put it down to a misspent youth. I and a few others made and experimented with a variety of explosives and blew things up for entertainment, long before terrorist concerns came along I'd add. It might have been frowned upon back then (over sixty years ago), but was not taken desperately seriously.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

It clearly looked professional from the leaked New York Times pics of the so called detonator or trigger. But it could have been an aftermarket one, but whatever whoever put it together knew what they were doing. But I doubt it takes a lot to put a bomb together anyway from off the shelf chemicals, nor much skill. They did say his legless torso was found outside the foyer some way away.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    gunpowder may have been used, as it is effective in smaller amounts and easily obtained unfortunately.
    Gunpowder is not a high explosive as it does not produce a supersonic shockwave and does not have to be detonated. This would have been totally unsuitable for the Manchester bomb.

I'm Shaun.

If you want to know how I know then it is 33 years working as a chemist in industry getting very well paid for my sins.

I'm Simon.

I read it's the same type of tatp (acetone peroxide) bomb used in Paris and London 7/7 and people did report white smoke at Manchester, which these devices are known to give off.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Gunpowder is not a high explosive as it does not produce a supersonic shockwave and does not have to be detonated. This would have been totally unsuitable for the Manchester bomb.
    I know it's not an H.E., but it would have been fast enough. It was good enough for grenades.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    There are very limited reasons for terrorism, sadly not those our government want to tackle head on.
    Erm, total idiocy for wanting everyone to accept and convert to islam? A totally F**ked up interpretation as well?

In my book any religion worth it's salt promotes good will to all men, and women!

I'm Geoff.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Erm, total idiocy for wanting everyone to accept and convert to islam? A totally F**ked up interpretation as well?

In my book any religion worth it's salt promotes good will to all men, and women!
    I agree, and uk Muslim people need to sit down with the Koran and take out all the violent bits or at least codify bits they deplore, like christians seem to have got over a long time ago. But there is a lot of violence in the Koran, you have to look hard in the bible, and it may not be be interpreted strictly by moderate muslims, but many British muslims agree with its content overseas where society doesn't limit its effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast