+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Another major (presumably terrorist) incident. Now in Manchester.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'm glad to hear it! You seemed to be saying that it matters not how many foreigners are killed, regimes changed, wars started etc so long as we get our oil and remain a wealthy elite of "Westerners"...
    That is how the western governments look at it, because as I said earlier it is not the purpose of government to 'care' but to provide security and stability. They will take any necessary steps to do that. It's absolute pragmatism.

If there was a problem with oil supplies and the price skyrocketed, instant economic depression in the West. Unemployment, power and fuel shortages, blackouts, rationing and eventually rioting and anarchy. So it isn't as simple as just saying it is wrong to safeguard the oil, so let's stop doing it, because that will have terrible consequences of its own.

Now if you have a solution to that very real problem that does not involve the collapse of western civilisation I am all ears.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Whilst I'll partially agree on his level of intellectual competence etc (he's no Enoch Powell, Tony Benn or George Galloway when it comes to brains and oratory skills but he's hardly thick either...), he is that rare and special thing... an honest politician who CARES and puts people before profit
    Mmm... Is there *really* such a thing?? I do agree, however, that he portrays a convincing illusion of such. Regardless, I'd have him in No10, like a shot, at the expense of May the Witch!

Putting people before, not profit (which in the right context is fine), but rather gratuitous greed, power and control, however, is definitely something we need to see MUCH MORE of in politics!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That is how the western governments look at it, because as I said earlier it is not the purpose of government to 'care' but to provide security and stability.
    You keep going on about this "security and stability", Martin, as if we should all be eternally grateful. Being caring is an inherent trait of any decent human being, and more genuinely decent human beings is what's needed in politics!

We only enjoy "security and stability" at its most basic level (and the more we arrogantly meddle in the affairs of other countries, the less 'secure' we'll be).

The above is indeed a privilege we enjoy from living in the west, but one could argue, with some conviction, that the world would be a helluva lot safer and secure, if governments didn't continually start wars to create wealth for those who own the vast majority of arms.

The ordinary people (you and I) simply want to 'make love, not war', and get on with one another in peace, regardless of class or race, which is generally what happens in real life in the civilised world, minus the intrusion of governments!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

I'm upset about this, my daughter was friends with the little girl that died, so it's hit close to home.... I started writing a big rant about everything from the Knights Templar to Haliburton.... None of it matters. the problem is we think differently to the East and we won't f**ing well leave them alone to live how they want. There is simply too much money to be made going to war and the US (and the UK, but mainly the US, we just follow them) is totally and utterly driven by $$$

May will use this to take away even more rights and freedoms, whilst taking the money from the front line where they can protect us
    Corbyn has (to me) a much more principled view, but against the psychopaths that run the world, he will get (I fear) chewed up and spat out because he simply can't conceive how twisted they are.

The only thing most of us can do is to carry on as if nothing has happened. Live our lives in our way and, by doing that, give a big f-u to the sick few that think that blowing up kids advances their cause.

The positive things from Monday are the way so many people (from the homeless chaps who ran in to help to the cabbies who travelled from miles away to take people home) did what they could to help. THAT is what we need to focus on.

I'm Adrian.

That is how the western governments look at it, because as I said earlier it is not the purpose of government to 'care' but to provide security and stability. They will take any necessary steps to do that. It's absolute pragmatism.

If there was a problem with oil supplies and the price skyrocketed, instant economic depression in the West. Unemployment, power and fuel shortages, blackouts, rationing and eventually rioting and anarchy. So it isn't as simple as just saying it is wrong to safeguard the oil, so let's stop doing it, because that will have terrible consequences of its own.

Now if you have a solution to that very real problem that does not involve the collapse of western civilisation I am all ears.
    Including murdering their own people in the name of stability and security - or is that too preposterous?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hear, hear!!

You and me both, Jez, although I'd pish on it too, then set it on fire, just to be sure!

In terms of your last bit, unfortunately that appears to be exactly what Martin thinks we should all be grateful for......

Oh, along with the "security and safety" we apparently all enjoy. Tell that to the families of the victims of the Manchester bombing. I'm sure the dead all felt 'safe and secure' beforehand.....

Marco.

As to your last paragraph... "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité + Peace and Love
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The ordinary people (you and I) simply want to 'make love, not war', and get on with one another in peace, which is generally what happens in real life, minus the intrusion of governments!!

Marco.
    It is what happens in real life in western democracies. Because they have strong and stable government. It would be a lot less easy to get on with one another in peace in a state of anarchy. Fact is by sheer accident of birth we got to live in one of the most peaceful, law-abiding and prosperous countries in the world. The reason it is like that is not (I would argue) the result of happy chance but of 1000 years of Establishment. An Establishment that later extended itself to Australia, America, and Canada as well. Again all top countries to hit in the birth lottery. Chance?

Okay so the Establishment has corruption and nepotism and rips us off. They are the negatives. Can you have the positives without any negatives? No, not in the real world, so it is a trade-off I accept. Could we reduce the negatives? Yes. But not easily.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    I'm upset about this, my daughter was friends with the little girl that died, so it's hit close to home.... I started writing a big rant about everything from the Knights Templar to Haliburton.... None of it matters. the problem is we think differently to the East and we won't f**ing well leave them alone to live how they want. There is simply too much money to be made going to war and the US (and the UK, but mainly the US, we just follow them) is totally and utterly driven by $$$

May will use this to take away even more rights and freedoms, whilst taking the money from the front line where they can protect us
    Corbyn has (to me) a much more principled view, but against the psychopaths that run the world, he will get (I fear) chewed up and spat out because he simply can't conceive how twisted they are.

The only thing most of us can do is to carry on as if nothing has happened. Live our lives in our way and, by doing that, give a big f-u to the sick few that think that blowing up kids advances their cause.

The positive things from Monday are the way so many people (from the homeless chaps who ran in to help to the cabbies who travelled from miles away to take people home) did what they could to help. THAT is what we need to focus on.
    +1 Well said. Sorry to hear that this atrocity has taken a friend of your daughters.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

It is what happens in real life in western democracies. Because they have strong and stable government. It would be a lot less easy to get on with one another in peace in a state of anarchy. Fact is by sheer accident of birth we got to live in one of the most peaceful, law-abiding and prosperous countries in the world. The reason it is like that is not (I would argue) the result of happy chance but of 1000 years of Establishment. An Establishment that later extended itself to Australia, America, and Canada as well. Again all top countries to hit in the birth lottery. Chance?

Okay so the Establishment has corruption and nepotism and rips us off. They are the negatives. Can you have the positives without any negatives? No, not in the real world, so it is a trade-off I accept. Could we reduce the negatives? Yes. But not easily.
    I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee to blurt out when I read that! You can not be serious!!?? Peaceful??? Expanded it's wonders to the colonies?

I'll raise you the Crimean war, the Napoleonic wars, the civil war, the war of the roses, Korea and on to the war of Jenkin's ear, slavery, the east indies etc etc etc.

Go and ask the Inuit, The Iroquois, The Sioux, The Aborigines, The Maori etc etc how much they loved their peace loving English/Western pals coming over to "help" them!

I'm Shane.

My best description of Theresa May. ''Tall, lanky, ugly shemale!!!''

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast