+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Nottingham

I'm Andrew.

Default Hi from Nottingham

Hi, i'm Andy from Long Eaton, Nottingham.

I've not long been bitten by the home HiFi bug, i started off last year with a Denon mini streaming system with some Wharfdale Diamon 220s which i used for music and with my TV.

Most of my music is streamed over my local network from my Qnap NAS hard drive.

It was a very nice sounding system for the money but i wanted to get some thing better which started by me getting some Focal Aria 906 stand mount speakers which were on offer at a nice price due to being open box/returns.

I then moved them from on top of a unit and got them some solid oak speaker stands from Custom Speaker Stands(no affiliation, found them by a web search). The columns are hollow so i've filled them with about 12-13kgs each of lead shot which i got second hand off ebay.

Next up was upgrading from the Denon mini system, i'm not into records or CDs so i just wanted a simple low box count system. I found that Cambridge Audio were selling their factory referbs' with a two year guarantee for a nice price so i picked up a CXN and CXA80 both in black.

Just tonight i've bought some Van Damme Hi-Fi Series LC-OFC 2x4mm speaker cables off ebay to replace the rather weedy cable that i got free with the Denon/Diamonds. 4mm is overkill but it's fairly cheap so why not ?

Enough waffle from me

I'm mark.

Welcome Andy, I'm down the road if you fancy seeing the result of compulsive hi-fi hoarding :-)

Run while you have chance ...

I'm Geoff.

Hello Andy Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans if any you may have for your system.

Have a look around the site and get used to where everything is and feel free to join in with any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

nice intro Andy. hope you enjoy the forum
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the warm welcome, since getting into hifi i'm mostly listening to pretty relaxed type music(see below) as it suites my life/listening times which is being up at 03:30am and listening in the afternoon after work. I listen to more lively music like dance/older rock/etc but tends to be in my car system which is also in a fluid state of changing amps/speakers/subs, it's more of a quality sound than a boom boom type of system but obviously can not match the clarity of a home system.

I'm already eyeing up my next upgrades after my savings have recovered. Next might be either an amp upgrade to one of the Firebottle amps or change my speakers for some kind of floor standing speakers(TBC).

(sorry for the format, i've copied/pasted from the album folder titles)

Madeleine Peyroux-Secular Hymns
    Melody_Gardot-Currency_Of_Man_Deluxe_Edition-The_Artist_s_Cut
    Katie_Melua-In_Winter Hires flac
    Norah_Jones-Come_Away_With_Me_192kHz_24bit
    Tinpan Orange - Love Is A Dog
    Fink-Wheels_Turn_Beneath_My_Feet
    Fairground Attraction flac
    Gregory_Porter-Liquid_Spirit

I'm Geoff.

If you have the patience Andy, read through threads that relate to the type of equipment you'd be interested in. There's a huge amount of info here.

The members are helpful too and will be happy to give opinions. If you like, find the right section and start your own thread with any questions you may have.

We can get to know you better if you join in the general banter. Nobody is expected to be an expert.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Oh yes, plenty of interesting threads to read like this one i'm reading.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...peaker-Project

I've got some nice Dynaudio MW160 mids and a three way active processor going spare from my car system that could be the beginnings of a nice project

Mind i don't have the technical knowledge of the chap in that thread

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Andrew,

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread