+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Surely the spirit of the forum is to share, so we can all learn. Info shared by private message means the membership are robbed of your wisdom. Its a shame, no one learns.
    I understand your point and agree with it but im also concerned ill start to sound like a broken record !

My recommendation was the FB-OTP.

it was in a blind test with a modded Tron Convergence, a Nighthawk F117 and another version of the OTP in the development stage.

I picked the FB-OTP out of the group as my favourite (personal opinion of course). Superb soundstage, clarity, detail, tight bass, glistening treble! It also sounds realistic, which to me is paramount. Its £225, it sounds fantastic and its foolhardy not to listen to one if you're in the market.

I love mine to bits and lately ive heard a fair few others and they just hadn't made me want to change it. Im trying to get hold of a Nakamichi to test as ive heard they are difficult to dislodge from a system.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigman80; 21-05-2017 at 23:56.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I understand your point and agree with it but im also concerned ill start to sound like a broken record !

My recommendation was the FB-OTP.

it was in a blind test with a modded Tron Convergence, a Nighthawk F117 and another version of the OTP in the development stage.

I picked the FB-OTP out of the group as my favourite (personal opinion of course). Superb soundstage, clarity, detail, tight bass, glistening treble! It also sounds realistic, which to me is paramount. Its £225, it sounds fantastic and its foolhardy not to listen to one if you're in the market.

I love mine to bits and lately ive heard a fair few others and they just hadn't made me want to change it. Im trying to get hold of a Nakamichi to test as ive heard they are difficult to dislodge from a system.

I think we all knew what you were going to plug.
    Regards Neil

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I think we all knew what you were going to plug.
    Firebottle™

Find a better, new phonostage for under £250 and ill buy one myself.

I'm Jez.

Firebottle™

Find a better, new phonostage for under £250 and ill buy one myself.

I take cash. paypal or bank transfer

I see it's "TM" now eh FFS...

The op may well find it interesting to google the Arkless 640P Probably the best budget phono stage in the world < Carlsberg unfortunately....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I take cash. paypal or bank transfer

I see it's "TM" now eh FFS...

The op may well find it interesting to google the Arkless 640P Probably the best budget phono stage in the world < Carlsberg unfortunately....
    😂😂 the ™ was purely in jest mate.

I say this sincerely, I would love to hear one of your units, Jez. Maybe we can come to a gentleman's agreement? Ive read a lot of good things about the Arkless.

I'll PM you.

I'm Dave.

The Rega internal phono stage is very good and better than many separate units. So, you need to be careful with your choice and audition before splashing the cash, to avoid disappointment.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi all
    I'm looking for help, I'd like a phono stage thats more revealing than the stage thats in my Rega Brio ( 2017 ).
    Current turntable STD305M fitted with an AT1120 tonearm. I have a choice of cartridges ( ADC zlm ) (At440Mlb) but currently using ortofon red.
    Really don't want to spend a fortune, advice would be received with thanks...
    My understanding is the Brio is MM only but should be quite good for that type of cartridge compared with other stages at the sub £400 level if you intend to stick with that type of cartridge. Extending the choice to MC could make it an expensive hobby.

If you are going to stick with MM then I would suggest you visit a dealer with a listening room who has a Brio and get them to demonstrate to you which stages would represent an upgrade. Alternatively you could try one of the demo units that is circulating via this forum and see if that provides the kind of performance leap you are looking for. That should give you an indication whether an upgrade would be merited for the budget you are prepared to spend.

For my own use for MM and MC I have a budget Cambridge Audio stage and a Nakamichi CA5E pre amp (which has a highly regarded phono stage) along with a Kinshaw Perception SA phono stage set internally for MC. When comparing MM there is an improvement over the Cambridge when using the Nakamichi but for me its quite subtle. I find for MC the improvements over the Cambridge with the better stages are more pronounced. I would expect your Brio is closer to the Cambridge in performance for MM but I have never heard one and the Rega MM stages have a good rep so they may well be better.

I'm Jez.

���� the ™ was purely in jest mate.

I say this sincerely, I would love to hear one of your units, Jez. Maybe we can come to a gentleman's agreement? Ive read a lot of good things about the Arkless.

I'll PM you.

Read your PM and the answer remains no.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Read your PM and the answer remains no.
    Ok, cant say I didnt try!

I'm steve.

Hi all just thought I'd chip in having recently bought a new phono stage. My previous phono stage was a Graham Slee Grammamp 2 Communicator which I had for about 2 years, I have just replaced it with the USA built Schiit Mani phono stage, although quite a bit cheaper than the Slee I have found the performance to be a significant improvement, unlike the Slee which is MM only the Mani has 2 gain setting for MM and 2 for MC. I've not tried it with a MC so can't comment on how it performs with them, with my current cartridge the Nagaoka MP110 on the lowest gain setting it performs extremely well, I've also tried it briefly with my second tier cartridge an Audio Technica AT120EB which also suits it well. The setup is via a 2016 Rega Planar 3 + TTPSU. The Schiit Mani is £149 including postage and at the price it's great VFM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast