+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rel stampede speakon connection?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Seems a lot of money - why don't you simply use one of the screws on the back of your DAC?
    Barry

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Seems a lot of money - why don't you simply use one of the screws on the back of your DAC?
    ...they are far too small and it wouldn't be a good connection.

Cheers!
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post
    ...they are far too small and it wouldn't be a good connection.

Cheers!
    Why not use the negative terminal of one of your power amps? that is how I use the high-level input to my sub although I do have a stereo power amp chassis. I assume that your mono power amps will have identical earth resistance if they are connected to a common spur socket or power strip?
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Why not use the negative terminal of one of your power amps? that is how I use the high-level input to my sub although I do have a stereo power amp chassis. I assume that your mono power amps will have identical earth resistance if they are connected to a common spur socket or power strip?
    You would need to ask REL, they do not specify this method of connection for monoblocks! You're speaking to the wrong person i.e. I do not know the reason for this, please let me know what REL say to this (your) enquiry? Thanks!!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm Alex.

I guess the preamp is assumed to be the reference ground of the system, Ie all of the source components and the power amp are grounded via the preamp so les possibility of a hum loop. If you just connect it to the negative terminal on one of the power amps it will probably be fine. If it hums then back to plan a, otherwise leave it alone

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    I guess the preamp is assumed to be the reference ground of the system, Ie all of the source components and the power amp are grounded via the preamp so les possibility of a hum loop. If you just connect it to the negative terminal on one of the power amps it will probably be fine. If it hums then back to plan a, otherwise leave it alone

Yes, I think yours is a good analysis Alex. On the monoblocks, the negative speaker terminal is not connected to the mains ground pin (on the IEC)! However, the casing /chassis of the DAC is connected to the mains ground pin (on the IEC) ..which I have double checked with a multi-meter! I think your analogy of the pre-amp being (Acting as) the ground reference of the entire system therefore applies equally to the (stereo) DAC?
    Cheers!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Alex.

The signal ground is just a zero reference for the output stage and may or may not be connected to the earth connection or chassis ground. I suppose there is a potential for two mono amps to have a different signal ground potential and for there therefore to be an offset between the amps. In practice I'd suspect not, but suck it and see

I'm paul.

So, here is the ground post fitted (neatly):

cardas-earth-post-acbp-s-350_0.jpg

DSCN2631.jpg

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I suspect the black and green wires are there simply to provide a pallitive measure of shielding. I would either ignore them, or connect them to a mains earth (such as the metal work of your DAC).
    not palliative!! ~ makes a huge hum when they are ignored! (unconnected).

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12